Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
SharathPS
Level I

JMP copy paste error

Hi I am copying a cell containing the text 

48-pin ultra-thin fine pitch quad flat package no leads
(UFQFPN)

from excel into JMP. The file is originally a csv file opened in excel.

In JMP it ends up in two rows instead of one cell as:

SharathPS_0-1667589830597.png

How can I avoid this. I have already tried formatting excel column as text and setting JMP column to character type.

This happens in lines when there is a bracket (square / parentheses / angled brackets) inside the text. Why is JMP doing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SharathPS
Level I

Re: JMP copy paste error

Thanks @Craige_Hales for the response. But, I am copy pasting a huge excel sheet and I cannot apply that to each cell.

However I opened the csv file directly in JMP and the lines don't jumble up when I do that. I then save it as a jmp file. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Craige_Hales
Super User

If you peek at the CSV with a text editor like notepad, is there a new line in the value?

You might be able to work around the problem manually with find/replace after importing the data.

Find what: holds the new line sequence to be replace with T for KATIE.Find what: holds the new line sequence to be replace with T for KATIE.

Depending where the data came from the newline sequence may be CR, LF, or CRLF. Depending on your OS, typing a newline might not match. Worst case, regex might be needed:

Plus means one or more of the set of characters \n (newline) and \r (return).Plus means one or more of the set of characters \n (newline) and \r (return).

Try a couple before you hit Replace All. Consider choosing Restrict To Selected Column.

Edit: @SharathPS  I suspect I've misunderstood your question. Try double-clicking the cell in the JMP table before pasting. When you double click, you'll see a text edit box and the entire paste will go into that box. Otherwise, when the cell is single-click selected and not showing the edit box, newlines in the paste data will advance to the next cell.

Craige
SharathPS
Level I

Thanks @Craige_Hales for the response. But, I am copy pasting a huge excel sheet and I cannot apply that to each cell.

However I opened the csv file directly in JMP and the lines don't jumble up when I do that. I then save it as a jmp file.