cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
BSwid
Level IV

JMP Alert: Column "Column Name" requires numeric values{4} in access or evaluation of 'Bad Argument'

I am trying to do a an if statement and am getting the error JMP Alert: Column "Column Name" requires numeric values{4} in access or evaluation of 'Bad Argument' where "Column Name" is the name of the column with the formula.

Careful, my input column name looks like a formula but it's a column name.  The input column is Numeric, continuous.

What am I doing wrong?

Here's the formula

If( Num( Abs( :Name( "(Avg Monthly Demand - SAP Corr Forecast)/SAP Corr Forecast" ) ) ) >= 0.25,
	"Red",
	"Green"
)

Here's the input column properties & the error alert.

JMP Question column requires numeric values.pngJMP Question column requires numeric values 2.pngThanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Thierry_S
Super User

Re: JMP Alert: Column "Column Name" requires numeric values{4} in access or evaluation of

It is not much but you have the NUM statement after the ABS statement, should it be the other way around?
Thierry R. Sornasse
andersonmj2
Level IV

Re: JMP Alert: Column "Column Name" requires numeric values{4} in access or evaluation of

That is exactly what I was coming to say - I know I occasionally forget to convert a value in a script and get that error.
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

I'm not sure we have enough information to help you here. It would help to see a sample of the data table that you're working with, ideally attached as a JMP data table that we could work with. We really only need the columns in question and only enough data to reproduce the problem.

The error message references "Column 70". Is that the column that contains the formula with the If() conditional? If so, is it a Numeric column or a Character column? Your formula is returning character values, "Red" and "Green", so it should be a Character column.

Also, you don't need the Num() at all in your formula. Because your "(Avg Monthly...)/SAP Corr Forecast" column is numeric the Abs() function should work just fine and returns a numeric value. The Num() function isn't doing anything. I don't think it's hurting anything but it's not necessary.

-Jeff
BSwid
Level IV

Thank you for your help.

In building the test file it seems that the error might be on an input column.  

JMP Question column requires numeric values.png

BSwid
Level IV

I'm trying to post the .jmp file but it keeps rejecting my post.  "The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type."

stan_koprowski
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @BSwid,

Sorry about not being able to upload an attachment with the .JMP file extension.

We are aware of the issue and working quickly to resolve.

Until it has been fully resolved you should be able to attach as a csv file.

Thanks,

Stan