JMP 16: Add Timestamp to Excel File Name

I am exporting jmp data tables to Excel using the script below,

//Specifying Data Tables For Export to Excel
tableList = {tab1DT,tab2DT,tab3DT,tab4DT,tab5DT,tab6DT};

//Specifying the Worksheets in the Excel Workbook
sheetList = {"WS1","WS2","WS3","WS4","WS5","WS6"};

//Send to Excel FIle
Create Excel Workbook( "C:/Users/FileName.xlsx",tableList,sheetList);

Right now the Excel file name will be FileName.xlsx. I would like to add the timestamp (Format YYYYMMDDHHMM) at the beginning of the file name so for example, 202303021550 FileName.xlsx. Will the Timestamp at Start function accomplish this? Not sure how to apply.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: JMP 16: Add Timestamp to Excel File Name

Many different ways of doing this and which to use depends where you are getting your timestamp, your JMP version and your regional settings.

I'm not sure if JMP will recognize that format so you might have to build it by using different functions. One option is to first build it as something JMP will recognize and then use Substitute (or Regex) to remove unnecessary characters. Format Pattern only works if you have JMP16+

Names Default To Here(1);
date_str = Format(Today(), "Format Pattern","<YYYY><-><MM><-><DD> <hh24><::><mm>");

//using regex
date_cleaned = Regex(date_str, "[^\d]", "", GLOBALREPLACE);

//using subsitute
date_cleaned = Substitute(date_str, ".", "", ":", "", "-", "", " ", "");

Quite often when I'm saving filenames with timestamp from JMP, I will just use Char(Today()) which will then be seconds from 1904-01-01 00:00:00

-Jarmo

View solution in original post

txnelson
Super User

Create Excel Workbook( "C:/Users/" || date || "FileName.xlsx",tableList,sheetList);

The  || operator allows you to concatenate strings.

Jim

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jthi
Super User

Many different ways of doing this and which to use depends where you are getting your timestamp, your JMP version and your regional settings.

I'm not sure if JMP will recognize that format so you might have to build it by using different functions. One option is to first build it as something JMP will recognize and then use Substitute (or Regex) to remove unnecessary characters. Format Pattern only works if you have JMP16+

Names Default To Here(1);
date_str = Format(Today(), "Format Pattern","<YYYY><-><MM><-><DD> <hh24><::><mm>");

//using regex
date_cleaned = Regex(date_str, "[^\d]", "", GLOBALREPLACE);

//using subsitute
date_cleaned = Substitute(date_str, ".", "", ":", "", "-", "", " ", "");

Quite often when I'm saving filenames with timestamp from JMP, I will just use Char(Today()) which will then be seconds from 1904-01-01 00:00:00

-Jarmo
WoHNY
Level III

Jarmo: Thank you for the response. If I go with Char(Today()) how do I reference it in the path/file name? Whatever I place prior to FileName.xlsx in the path/name string below will just add as is to the FileName. Define

date = Char(Today()) but then how do I get this incorporated into the file name? is there a special character that will reference it?

Create Excel Workbook( "C:/Users/FileName.xlsx",tableList,sheetList);
txnelson
Super User

Create Excel Workbook( "C:/Users/" || date || "FileName.xlsx",tableList,sheetList);

The  || operator allows you to concatenate strings.

Jim
WoHNY
Level III

Jim:

Thank you for the input.

Greg