cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
hollyg
Level I

Is there a way to represent how a row changes across columns?

I am looking at how survey responses change over time. Each participant is entered as a row. Is there a way to see how each participant's anwers vary over time? For example, we have a survey that was given annually for 3 years. For yes or no questions (answers coded 1 or 0), I would like know how many people answered 1 the first year, then 0 for the two subsequent years etc.

Thank you. 

2 REPLIES 2
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Is there a way to represent how a row changes across columns?

To get a row count of each combination you can use Summary in the Tables menu. Enter the three year-columns as grouping variables. That will give you a table with a column "N Rows" that represent the number of rows for each 1-0-0, 1-1-0 etc.

The parallel plot is a way to visualize data across rows. But otherwise JMP provides more options with data arranged in columns. The Stack command (Tables menu) is an easy way to stack a horizontal data set that automatically creates a grouping columns based on the names of stacked columns.

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Is there a way to represent how a row changes across columns?

MS gives some good options.

Here's another...the Categorical platform will handle these three responses as "Repeated Measures". In this way you'll get a transition report showing the changes from one period to the next.

4205_JMPScreenSnapz001.png

-Jeff

-Jeff