cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
hollyg
Level I

Is there a way to represent how a row changes across columns?

I am looking at how survey responses change over time. Each participant is entered as a row. Is there a way to see how each participant's anwers vary over time? For example, we have a survey that was given annually for 3 years. For yes or no questions (answers coded 1 or 0), I would like know how many people answered 1 the first year, then 0 for the two subsequent years etc.

Thank you. 

2 REPLIES 2
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Is there a way to represent how a row changes across columns?

To get a row count of each combination you can use Summary in the Tables menu. Enter the three year-columns as grouping variables. That will give you a table with a column "N Rows" that represent the number of rows for each 1-0-0, 1-1-0 etc.

The parallel plot is a way to visualize data across rows. But otherwise JMP provides more options with data arranged in columns. The Stack command (Tables menu) is an easy way to stack a horizontal data set that automatically creates a grouping columns based on the names of stacked columns.

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Is there a way to represent how a row changes across columns?

MS gives some good options.

Here's another...the Categorical platform will handle these three responses as "Repeated Measures". In this way you'll get a transition report showing the changes from one period to the next.

4205_JMPScreenSnapz001.png

-Jeff

-Jeff