cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
zetunedav
Level II

Is there a way to iterate an If statement on the last row of a table?

we have a  table that is created from a db query.  We use the date/time stamps in this table to determine start/stop times for more detailed queries.  The problem we are having is that sometimes the date/time stamps at the end of the table are not a 'matched' set.  In this table, we have created formula columns that help us identify which dates are on which row.  We know the pattern that we need to have:  the last two rows in X_3 need to end in 1 then 0.

If(dt:X_3[NRow(dt)-1] == 0, dt<< deleteRows(NRow(dt)));
If(dt:X_3[NRow(dt)] == 1, dt<< deleteRows(NRow(dt)));

Is there a way to iterate only on the last row until the table has the desired structure?

David Zetune
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
zetunedav
Level II

Re: Is there a way to iterate an If statement on the last row of a table?

In the end, what I needed looked like this

While( continue,
	If( dt:X_3[N Row( dt ) - 1] == 0,
		dt << deleteRows( N Row( dt ) ),
		continue = 0	

)
);

Thanks

David Zetune

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

I would be careful deleting rows from within a formula column.  Every time the formula is re-evaluated, it will chop off the last row.  However you can create a logical condition for the last row in a column formula using something like this:

If( Row() == N Row(Current Data Table()), do this, do that);

For your situation, I would run a separate script, not as in a formula column, to cut off the last row so you don't leave that code as a permanent feature of your resulting data table.  In that case, the script would pretty much look like what you have.

-- Cameron Willden
zetunedav
Level II

@cwillden Thanks for the input.  I'm more interested in the second option.  However, the number of rows that need to be trimmed off the bottom varies.  I was hoping I could evaluate the last row, delete it and re-valuate the If statement on the 'new' last row in a loop until the Else becomes true.

David Zetune
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

Just to close the loop on this post for now, @zetunedav realized we actually work for the same company (and know each other :) ), so we're going to resolve this in a meeting.

-- Cameron Willden
zetunedav
Level II

In the end, what I needed looked like this

While( continue,
	If( dt:X_3[N Row( dt ) - 1] == 0,
		dt << deleteRows( N Row( dt ) ),
		continue = 0	

)
);

Thanks

David Zetune