cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
SHUO
Level I

Importing esri shape file in JMP12

Hi, I am using JMP12 in window 10 and having problem importing the esri file with the _shp extension. JMP keeps crashing each time when I try.

I am not sure if this is due to window 10 system or JMP12 itself. I saw a user developed addin for converting esri files to JMP, and wonder if it would work later versions of JMP, such as JMP12.

I have asked for help from SAS technical support, but did not resolve this.

My appreciations to anyone who can share some insights.

Thanks 

Shuyan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JohnPonte
Staff (Retired)

Re: Importing esri shape file in JMP12

Shuyan, thanks for reporting this issue as a bug to JMP technical support. I was able to get the .shp/.dbf files and I determined that the .shp file contained rows that included null or invalid shapes. JMP was not handling this case very well and that caused JMP to crash. I just fixed this issue in version 14. With this fix I was able to convert the files and sent them directly to you. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
txnelson
Super User

I have just imported a shp file in JMP 12, that I downloaded from the web

cb_2016_us_state_500k.zip

I am running JMP on a Window's 10 system. 

So I don't think the issue is either JMP 12 or Window's 10.

You may want to try Jeff Moore's JMP addin 

ESRI to JMP Map Converter

Indicates that it has been updated to work with JMP 12

// Created 05/03/2011
// Updated for JMP 12 on 06/12/2014
// ESRItoJMPmapAddin.jsl
// Allows a user to convert an ESRI map file set to JMP format. (.shp & .dbf --> XY.jmp & Name.jmp)
// Created by Jeffery Moore

Your Discussion entry is a little short on details, on how you are attempting to import the file, so I will suggest that you install the Map Converter from the File Exchange and see if you can get it to work.  If you are attempting to read in the .shp file yourself, you can use the JSL from Jeff's addin as a guide

Jim
SHUO
Level I

Thanks Jim for your reply.

I am trying to convert the ESRI map set (.shp and dbf) to . XY.Jmp and .Name.jmp map files.

I have downloaded the addin but still have the same problem. I suspect the ESRI files in the website maybe corrupted? However, I was able to import shape file (.shp) in SAS using  "proc map import". Although I can read the SAS file in JMP, it is not in the JMP map format ( as the "part" collumn is missing from the XY  file). Hope this makes sense. 

Shuyan

ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

If you have the .shp and .dbf file you can convert them to -XY and -Name files manually without an add-in:

1. Open the .shp file using jmp (use file -> open).
    1. Make sure the first column has a number that is unique for each shape (it usually is from my experience).
    2. Make sure the second column has a number for each part of the main shape.  This only matters for shapes that have disconnected parts.  Sometimes this column does not exist, if it doesn't just create a column called part and fill it in with the number 1
    3. Save this as MyShape-XY.jmp
  2. Open the .dbf file
    1. Look for a column that contains sequencial numbers (1, 2, 3...0), move that to the first column.  If one does not exist create it.  The column info dialog has an initialize option that makes this easy.
    2. Save this as MyShape-Name.jmp
  3. Move both files to a maps folder (thanks Justin Chilton for pointing this out:(

From Example of Creating a Map in Graph Builder:

JMP looks for these files in two locations. One location is shared by all users on a machine. This location is:
Windows: C:\Program Files\SAS\JMP\<Version Number>\Maps
Mac: /Library/Application Support/JMP/<Version Number>/Maps
The other location is specific for an individual user:
On Windows: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\SAS\JMP\Maps
On Mac: /Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/JMP/Maps

I keep this post bookmarked, you might find it helpful too (it was for JMP 9 but has good info):

https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Blog/How-to-Add-Shape-Files-to-the-JMP-9-Maps-Directory/ba-p/29925

JohnPonte
Staff (Retired)

Do you mind sharing the shp / dbf files? If you send them to me (John.Ponte@jmp.com) or tell me where I can get them from, I will take a look at them and see if I can determine if the issue is in the shape files. If I can get them converted I will send you the results.
JohnPonte
Staff (Retired)

Shuyan, thanks for reporting this issue as a bug to JMP technical support. I was able to get the .shp/.dbf files and I determined that the .shp file contained rows that included null or invalid shapes. JMP was not handling this case very well and that caused JMP to crash. I just fixed this issue in version 14. With this fix I was able to convert the files and sent them directly to you. Hope this helps!

SHUO
Level I

John,

Thank you  very much for your help and sending through the coverted JMP files. I look forward to JMP14.

Thanks to everyone who responding to my post.

Cheers

Shuyan