cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How to split a column cells into different columns

Not sure how I can split a column of cells into different columns. For example I have this ONE column with both First and Last names as one cell

Name
1 Lee, Bob
2 Miller, Mike
3 Smith, Jack

Not split this one column into Two columns, one of First, and second column of Last

Last First
1 Lee Bob
2 Miller Mike
3 Smith Jack
12 REPLIES 12

Re: How to split a column cells into different columns

If you're using JMP 12 or later you can use Cols -> Utilities -> Text to Columns.

12569_JMPScreenSnapz034.png

If you're using JMP 11 or earlier you can get the add-in, Text to Columns, Version 2​, which does the same thing as the now, built-in function.

If you want to do this by hand, either with JSL or the Formula Editor, you'll find the Word() function handy, as described by thechadd

Last Name: Word( 1, :Name, ", " )
First Name: Word( 2, :Name, ", " )

12570_JMPScreenSnapz035.png

ENTHU
Level IV

Looking for an extension of Text to Columns/Word function.I have a path in a column -

Z:\abc\def\foldername\filefolder\filename.

I need to extract 3 things from this path -

1.foldername

2.Path until file folder

3.file name

I am basically getting this data from data base.Need to post process it and fill an excel template.

I tried text to columns;going through multiple iterations will get me there but its very inefficient.

Looking for recommendation.

Thanks

txnelson
Super User

Take a look at the Word() function and the Substr() function. And you could also use a regular expression with Regex() function
Jim