cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
amy
amy
Level II

How to select the highest three cell values in every column?

For every column that contains a word, say "Prediction", I want to extract top 3 cell values either greater than 5 or greater than 4.5 (if I get 3 numbers above 5 then I dont want any numbers above 4.5) in a list. Further, picking the one that is farthest away from 5 and hide the corresponding cell value in its raw table. For example, in this example table given below:

In Prediction B column, I want to store 6.6, 5.3 and 5. And hide the cell adjacent to Prediction B nut in Column B i.e. cell value 65. 

Capture.PNG 

My code selects columns which have the string "Prediction" in it. 

dt = Current Data Table();
a = "Prediction";
col = dt << get column names( string );
nc = N Items( col );
For( i = 1, i <= nc, i++,
	If( Contains( col[i], a ), )
);

How can I choose the top 3 cells greater than 5 or 4.5? Thank you so much JMP community for being so prompt. 

17 REPLIES 17
amy
amy
Level II

Re: Top 3 cell values in every column

@txnelson Well, after setting the value of a cell to missing value/ hide/ exclude a cell's value, I would want to run some models onthe data table and then decide to either keep it that way or include the value to the cell again. Is this possible? 

uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@amy,

You can always subset tables, rather than trying to include individual cells. 

Best
Uday
txnelson
Super User

There is not a direct way to retireve a cell value once it has been set to Missing.  That is the reason that @dale_lehman suggested using new columns and @uday_guntupalli suggests to create a new subset of the data, and then to modify the subset.

Jim
amy
amy
Level II

Okay, thank you for helping out. @txnelson @uday_guntupalli

uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@amy,

dt = Current Data Table(); 
SearchTerm = "Prediction"; 
ColNames = dt << Get Column Names("String"); 
DesRowsList = {}; 
for(i = 1, i <= N Cols(dt), i++,
		If(Contains(ColNames[i],SearchTerm),
			SR = dt << Select Where(As Column(dt,ColNames[i]) > 4.5) << Get Selected Rows; 
			Insert Into(DesRowsList,SR); 
			dt << Clear Select; 
		  );
   );

This should help you get the rows that meet your condition into one list. From there you should be able to extract top 3 in each case. To answer your question, I am not aware of excluding only cells 

Best
Uday
amy
amy
Level II

Also, is there a way I can match columns like B and Prediction B? Thanks

txnelson
Super User

Use the Loc() function instead of the Contains() function to specify specific strings.

Jim
amy
amy
Level II

@txnelson I could do that using regex: match = regex(colstrings, "[{,]\s*([^{,}]*Prediction[^{,}]*)[,}]", "\1");