cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
aadecarlojr
Level II

How to select marked rows?

I love markers and colors as temporary placeholders for data grouping.  However, I cannot figure out how to select all rows with a particular color maker, or a particular symbol marker.  Of course, one can select all excluded or hidden, but if we can label them, we should be able to select them all without scrolling and clicking.  Help?  Also, I would hope this does not require a script, but if necessary, I would have to use it on all my data tables.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: How to select marked rows?

To do this interactively, you'll need to use a Row State column. You can then store your active row states in this column using the Copy from Row States command. Then you can right click on a cell in this new column and Select Matching Cells to select all the rows with the same marker/color/selected/hidden/excluded state. If you want to get only the marker (or color, selected, etc.) you can make a formula column using the Marker Of() function to get just the marker.

Finally, you may not need to go through all of this if you use the Rows->Select Rows->Name Selection In Column option to name your subsets as you select them to begin with. 

If you need help with any of these don't hesitate to ask.

-Jeff

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

The only way I know how to do this is with a script. The scripting is very simple.....here are a few of the types of ways you can get your feedback

names default to here(1);
dt=current data table();

dt<<select where(marker of(rowstate(row()))!=0 );
// or
show(dt<<get rows where(marker of(rowstate(row()))!= 0 ));
//or
dt<<select where(marker of(rowstate(row()))==5 );
// or
show(dt<<get rows where(marker of(rowstate(row()))==5 ));
Jim
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

To do this interactively, you'll need to use a Row State column. You can then store your active row states in this column using the Copy from Row States command. Then you can right click on a cell in this new column and Select Matching Cells to select all the rows with the same marker/color/selected/hidden/excluded state. If you want to get only the marker (or color, selected, etc.) you can make a formula column using the Marker Of() function to get just the marker.

Finally, you may not need to go through all of this if you use the Rows->Select Rows->Name Selection In Column option to name your subsets as you select them to begin with. 

If you need help with any of these don't hesitate to ask.

-Jeff