cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
davyvy
Level I

How to select individual cell based on condition?

How to select individual cell instead of entire rows?

In table below, I need to select the two -99 cells under Value1 and Value2 column, and delete them. Can someone help? When I used select where, the entire row is selected.

test1Value1test2Value2
354-99
4-995443
779-763

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jerry_cooper
Staff (Retired)

Re: How to select individual cell based on condition?

Just in case you were looking for a non-scripting approach, you could use search and replace (Ctrl+F), or you could use Column Properties and set -99 as a missing value code. If you use the search option, be sure to leave the Replace With box empty (i.e no space).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

Selecting a single cell, in the context of "Select Where" isn't really available.  But addressing a single cell can be done and then the cell value can be changed, or the cell color can be changed.  Here is an example of how to do this:

Names Default to Here(1);

dt=current data table();

dt:Value 2 << color cells("Red", dt<<get rows where(dt:Value 2 == -99));

Jim
Phil_Brown
Super User (Alumni)

davyvy​,

One approach is to simply clear the value of the cell and replace it with missing value (essentially same as delete). So..

:Value1 << Set Each Value( If( Value1[ ] == -99, ., Value1[ ] ) );

:Value2 << Set Each Value( If( Value2[ ] == -99, ., Value2[ ] ) );

I've found that Set Each Value is quite fast. I ran a  test on a 5 column, 6.6M row table and each of the operations above completed in ~2s.

PDB
jerry_cooper
Staff (Retired)

Just in case you were looking for a non-scripting approach, you could use search and replace (Ctrl+F), or you could use Column Properties and set -99 as a missing value code. If you use the search option, be sure to leave the Replace With box empty (i.e no space).

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

alternatively, you can use the recode option to change the -99 to missing values or whatever value you want. just right click the column from the column list on the left and select recode. the rest is self explanatory.