cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
xiaoyaj0
Level III

How to plot standardized residual?

Could anybody help me with plotting and saving standardized residual? Thank you!

Here is the related texts in the book:

"By asking SPSS(or your software package of choice) to save standardized residuals, you can then select only those cases that have residuals within a reasonable range (e.g., −3 to +3) and rerun the analysis to see whether that small number of cases had an appreciable effect on the analysis."

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: How to plot standardized residual?

The definition of a standardized residual is the residual values divided by the standard deviation of the residuals.  Therefore all that has to be done, is to save the residuals from the regression platform you are using(i.e. Fit Y by X, Fit Model, etc.).

12679_pastedImage_0.png

Then create a new column and in that column

12680_pastedImage_3.png

specify the formula

<Saved Residual Column Name> / Col Std Dev(<Saved Residual Column Name>)

12681_pastedImage_6.png

Then simply go to Graph builder and plot the Standardized Residual column against your X column.

12682_pastedImage_9.png

Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

The definition of a standardized residual is the residual values divided by the standard deviation of the residuals.  Therefore all that has to be done, is to save the residuals from the regression platform you are using(i.e. Fit Y by X, Fit Model, etc.).

12679_pastedImage_0.png

Then create a new column and in that column

12680_pastedImage_3.png

specify the formula

<Saved Residual Column Name> / Col Std Dev(<Saved Residual Column Name>)

12681_pastedImage_6.png

Then simply go to Graph builder and plot the Standardized Residual column against your X column.

12682_pastedImage_9.png

Jim
xiaoyaj0
Level III

Thank you so much, Jim! That is very helpful! I followed your steps and achieved the purpose. Esp. appreciated the graphs!