cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
tsandidge
Level III

How to hide x-variables with no data in x-axis groups of Chart

I'm really unsure how to ask this question without a picture.

I'm trying to use Chart (Graph > Chart) to display the number of username occurrences in a csv, grouped by month and, obviously, the usernames by color. Basically, a colorful histogram grouped by month (day, time, etc.).

The problem is, there are so many users, it really becomes visually cluttered when usernames are given a space in a month where they don't show up. For example, the first blue arrow shows 'tz' having zero occurrences one month, and then the other blue arrow shows 'tz' having more than zero occurrences another month. The other colored arrows highlight the same thing with other names. I would love to be able to hide the names without any data for those months.

If there is ​any​ possible way to do this–i.e. use a different graph–I would be the most glad receiver of that know-how.

12750_Chart.PNG

Thank you for your help in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: How to hide x-variables with no data in x-axis groups of Chart

Can you try using Graph Builder and nesting your grouping column for month on the X-axis along with Name?

I think that will give you what you're looking for. Here's an example with Big Class. Pretend that Age is your Month column.

12755_JMPScreenSnapz048.png

-Jeff

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

If you go to:

Rows==>Data Filter

and then select your X column to filter on and select the "Select","Show" and "Include",

You can restrict the values displayed on the X axis

12745_pastedImage_0.png12752_pastedImage_1.png

Jim

The local data filter is your friend in situations where the graph has a bit too much on it. The tricky part is to identify what the items you wish to exclude have in common.

In this case you wish to exclude where your Y variable is missing or zero. If the cells contain zeros then you can add the Y to the local data filter and adjust the range.

If the cells are empty (missing) then you will need to choose 'Select Missing' from the hotspot on the filter for your Y variable and check the 'Inverse' button.

tsandidge
Level III

It seems like we are very close to an answer, but the problem–from what I can tell–is that my Y variable is the number of occurrences of one of my X variables, username.

In the picture below, I need the variable to not show up under the left black arrow, but to show up under the right black arrow.12751_chartwithy.png

Thank you for the help!

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Can you try using Graph Builder and nesting your grouping column for month on the X-axis along with Name?

I think that will give you what you're looking for. Here's an example with Big Class. Pretend that Age is your Month column.

12755_JMPScreenSnapz048.png

-Jeff
tsandidge
Level III

Wow. I am almost certain that was one of the first things I tried–everything in Graph Builder–and it didn't work, but now it most certainly does. As an FYI, one of the main things I was bumping was that I had no Y variable, as your example does. However, Graph Builder used the count of occurrences (histogram) as the Y variable. Brilliant. Thank you!