cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
cslim
Level I

How to get axis labels to the left of x-axis

I made a scatter plot with three variables on the x axis as shown below, but the label for the the axes (xC/ xB / xA) are at the bottom which can be unintuitive. 

cslim_0-1656493702836.png

I was looking a way to get the labels for the x axis to the left of each x-axis i.e xA on the left of "A1 A2 A1 A2...", xB on the left of "B1 B2...." and so on, so that it forms sort of a hierarchical table.

(I am new to jump, so not sure abut the correct terms for everything.)

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

Re: How to get axis labels to the left of x-axis

Is this what you are trying to do?

txnelson_0-1656505731943.png

If so, in Graph Builder, you just drag the Age column to the X axis, then go back and drag the Sex column to the right end of the X axis

Jim
cslim
Level I

Thank you for the reply.

I already have the graph plotted correctly, I want to change only the formatting of the x-axis labels as I have shown in red text here:

cslim_0-1656652368641.png

txnelson
Super User

I was able to accomplish this interactively and then I had JMP save the JSL to a script window, which gave me the JSL that can be used to produce the graph.  As can be seen in the below graph, I only have 2 levels on my X axis, not 3 as in your example, however the method I used can be easily extended for the 3 levels.

txnelson_0-1656655326173.png

1. I created the default graph                                                                        txnelson_1-1656655590090.png

2. To remove the axis label, I clicked on the    age / sex    to edit it, and used the Backspace key to delete it. txnelson_2-1656655926967.png
  3. Next I used the Annotate Tool  txnelson_4-1656656026619.png to add the Sex label 

txnelson_5-1656656224111.png
  4. After it is entered the mouse can be used to position it exactly where it is wanted.

I then repeated the same step to add the Age label..  The first graph displayed is what the final results were.

6. The last step was to go to the red triangle and select     Save Script=>To Script Window  

Graph Builder(
    	Size( 525, 458 ),
    	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
    	Variables( X( :age ), X( :sex, Position( 1 ) ), Y( :height ) ),
    	Elements( Points( X( 1 ), X( 2 ), Y, Legend( 3 ) ) ),
    	SendToReport(
    		Dispatch( {}, "X title", TextEditBox, {Set Text( "" )} ),
    		Dispatch(
    			{},
    			"",
    			AxisBox,
    			{Add Axis Label( "Sex" ),
    			{Add Text Annotation(
    				Text( "Sex" ),
    				Fixed Size( 0 ),
    				Text Box( {-16, 2, 21, 29} ),
    				Filled( 0 )
    			), Add Text Annotation(
    				Text( "Age" ),
    				Fixed Size( 0 ),
    				Text Box( {-15, 26, 26, 53} ),
    				Filled( 0 )
    			)}}
    		),
    		Dispatch( {}, "Sex", TextEditBox, {Set Text( "" )} )
    	)
    );

By repeating the Annotate step for your 3rd X axis level, and then saving the script should give you the JSL you need for your graph.

Jim