cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Thomas1
Level V

How to get a formula column by row sub group

Hi there,

I d like to create a formula column (sum or mean etc.) with sub groups. The sub groups should be selected by rows, for example all 5 following rows drom a data table or in general all N rows. Any ideas to solve this with row()?

Attache a file to add the formula column.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How to get a formula column by row sub group

Not sure why you see this error message. You could try updating to the latest version to see if it helps. But, you could hard code the value of n to avoid the variable in the formula if the number is constant.

Or try with Local() instead of Parameter() (which actually is what I intended in my first post).

Local({n = 5}, Col Sum(:Data, Ceiling(Row() / n)))

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
txnelson
Super User

The Col Moving Average() function is what you need to use. 

For your averaging the formula would be:

Col Moving Average( :Data, 1, 0, 5 )

To calculate the sum it would be

Col Moving Average( :Data, 1, 0, 5 ) * 6

Documentation on the function is found in the Scripting Index

Help==>Scripting Index

look for Statistical Functions

Jim
Thomas1
Level V

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your fast response. Actually I'm looking for column formulas for row sub groups (for example row1 1-5, row1 6-10 ..., in general row 1-n, row n+1 - 2n, row 2n+1 - 3n...), where I can apply the column formulas from JMP.
txnelson
Super User

That is a bit confusing......could you provide a sample table?
Jim
Thomas1
Level V

Attached a sample file with a new column "Sum_of_each_5_Data_rows". This shows the sum of sub groups build from every 5 rows (N=5) of the data column.

How could this be done by using any given row numbers for the subgroup to create column formulas like  Col Sum,  Col Mean, Col Min etc.

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Try using a Row() transformation as optional ByGroup argument of the "Col Stat()" functions.

For example:

Parameter({n = 5}, Col Sum(:Data, Ceiling(Row() / n)))
Thomas1
Level V

Hi ms,

Thanks for your support. Your formula works great. Despite the formula delviers the approriate reuslts, the formal editor is marking n red in the formul part:

( Row() / n ) ) )

and delievers an error code. The error code is "Error: Name Unresolved: n". Are there any reasons to be concerned?

txnelson
Super User

try

n = 5; Col Sum(:Data, Ceiling(Row() / n))
Jim
Thomas1
Level V

Thanks Jim. Your formual works also. However, similar to the solution from ms I'm getting the error code from the formula editor for n "Error: Name Unresolved: n", despite the formual is working (JMP 14.0)

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Not sure why you see this error message. You could try updating to the latest version to see if it helps. But, you could hard code the value of n to avoid the variable in the formula if the number is constant.

Or try with Local() instead of Parameter() (which actually is what I intended in my first post).

Local({n = 5}, Col Sum(:Data, Ceiling(Row() / n)))