cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
kom
kom
Level IV

How to draw Control Charts that ignore missing data?

Hi all. Sometimes we take a sample and test it for a number of parameters. On occasion, we don't need to test all parameters, so the data table can take the form of the layout below, whereby A or B can have missing values. When I draw control charts, the control chart leaves a space for the empty cells (per 1st chart below). Obviously, I'd much rather it looked like the 2nd chart below, whereby there are no 'gaps' on the Y axis. I know that the Control Chart is simply trying to maintain the time order, but for me this is unusable, especially as there could be many hundred of blank spaces present. Is there an easy way to do this?

I don't want to delete the rows where A is blank, as there may be data present for B (that would require similar analysis). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kieran

kom_0-1639754495309.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: How to draw Control Charts that ignore missing data?

Only thing that comes to my mind is stacking the data and then deleting the rows with missing values. Or if the data doesn't need to have specific values on specific rows, moving values in such a way that missing values are in end and then scaling control chart to hide the missing values.

Edit:

Seems like you can create Ordinal (or nominal) column for ordering. Then set values on same row as missing:

jthi_0-1639756728270.png

jthi_1-1639756784285.png

No idea how this will affect calculations or if you will have to enable / disable this from Control Chart builder:

jthi_2-1639756812511.png

-Jarmo

View solution in original post

ian_jmp
Staff

FWIW, you could get Control Chart Builder to skip values in the way shown in the attached table. Probably the three formulas shown could be combined into one. And there's probably a smarter formula which I didn't see.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
kom
kom
Level IV

* minor correction - that should have read "....no gaps along the X axis"

jthi
Super User

Only thing that comes to my mind is stacking the data and then deleting the rows with missing values. Or if the data doesn't need to have specific values on specific rows, moving values in such a way that missing values are in end and then scaling control chart to hide the missing values.

Edit:

Seems like you can create Ordinal (or nominal) column for ordering. Then set values on same row as missing:

jthi_0-1639756728270.png

jthi_1-1639756784285.png

No idea how this will affect calculations or if you will have to enable / disable this from Control Chart builder:

jthi_2-1639756812511.png

-Jarmo
kom
kom
Level IV

Many thanks for taking the time to help me out with this Jarmo!

ian_jmp
Staff

FWIW, you could get Control Chart Builder to skip values in the way shown in the attached table. Probably the three formulas shown could be combined into one. And there's probably a smarter formula which I didn't see.

jthi
Super User

One way to create B Sample Number column with single formula is:

If(!Is Missing(:B Result),
	Col Cumulative Sum(1, Is Missing(:B Result)),
)

If current :B Result is missing set it as missing, else we use Col Cumulative Sum of 1 and group it by missing values, which allows us to skip them in cumulative sum calculation.

-Jarmo
ian_jmp
Staff

Nice!

kom
kom
Level IV

Thanks Ian. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out with this!