cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Thierry_S
Super User

How to customized color map levels in Clustering > Hierarchical (without standardization)?

I would like to modify the color setting (i.e. gradient) for the legend of a color map generated by the Clustering > Hierarchical. Specifically, I would like to center the color gradient to 0 and assign the maximum and minimum values manually so that the color map is symmetrical.

In all other platforms that use color gradients, I just right-click the legend and edit its parameters but this option is not available in the cluster platform

(JMP 14.1.0, Windows 10)

Thank you for your help.

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: How to customized color map levels in Clustering > Hierarchical (without standardization)?

Hi @Thierry_S

The color map in Clustering > Hierarchical operates in much the same way as the Graph > Cell Plot. There is control over the gradient in general terms (right-click a cell in the color map > color theme), but this implementation lacks the fine-grained control you see in say Graph > Graph Builder, where you can specify not just a theme, but a lightness range, number of levels, min, center, and max, etc.

But I have some good news for you. Hierarchical does honor the Color Gradient property that you set for a column in Column Properties (right click column > column properties). So, set your specific gradients there, where you can specify not just theme but min/max/center, and then when you request the color map in Hierarchical you will get your column-specified gradients (regardless of what you pick in Hierarchical). 

I hope this helps!

@julian 

clusterthemes.png

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: How to customized color map levels in Clustering > Hierarchical (without standardization)?

Hi @Thierry_S

The color map in Clustering > Hierarchical operates in much the same way as the Graph > Cell Plot. There is control over the gradient in general terms (right-click a cell in the color map > color theme), but this implementation lacks the fine-grained control you see in say Graph > Graph Builder, where you can specify not just a theme, but a lightness range, number of levels, min, center, and max, etc.

But I have some good news for you. Hierarchical does honor the Color Gradient property that you set for a column in Column Properties (right click column > column properties). So, set your specific gradients there, where you can specify not just theme but min/max/center, and then when you request the color map in Hierarchical you will get your column-specified gradients (regardless of what you pick in Hierarchical). 

I hope this helps!

@julian 

clusterthemes.png