cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How to create a side by side boxplot with data input as centered dots?

I'm trying to create a boxplot showing analysis data from different stations (placed on x- axis). When choosing plain boxes without the individual data shown as dots, it looks fine with the boxes within the same station placeded side to side. But when trying to add the dots, they are either displayed on the side of the boxes (some dots from different analyses overlap) or the boxes are overlapping, which makes it difficult to interpret the graph.

I would like to place the dots centered in each box, and at the same time place the boxes side by side. Is this possible?

I'm at beginners level, so I appreciate all the help I can get.

6 REPLIES 6
jthi
Super User

Re: How to create a side by side boxplot with data input as centered dots?

Reformatting the data might be easiest option (you want to offset points). How to format the data is difficult to advice as there is no example data provided, but for example using JMP's Big Class:

jthi_1-1697982568541.png

then if data is stacked, you could plot something like this

jthi_2-1697982726727.png

-Jarmo

Thank you for your response!

That looks like the result I am looking for. Looks like the lable in my case then should be the different stations where water samples were collected (i.e. fisketank, drivhustak etc. sorry- it is in norwegian) and insted of sex, I need the names of the different PAH contaminants. Then the question on how to actually reformat and stack data arises. This is the data table I am using atm, not sure if that helps?

LoglinearSpaces_0-1698050437305.png

Stasjon_2 = the column used in graph. It names the different stations where the water samples were collected

Dato = date

Columns to the right = different analyses including the PAH contaminants I am trying to present.

(More analyses in columns to the right)

jthi
Super User

You would stack the analysis columns you have (or the ones you need for visualization). In this example height and weight.

jthi_0-1698064527896.png

Then when you have the graph and if you wish to hide some of those "labels" you can use local data filter

-Jarmo

Thank you so much, that worked! I hid the names of the different PAH contaminants on the x-axis, but that makes it a bit difficult to see which results belongs to which station (fiskekar, drivhustak etc). Do you know if there is a way to divide the graph for a better overview? For example with verticle lines or with a bigger gap between the stations?

The lines are added manually in word:

LoglinearSpaces_0-1698321097412.png

jthi
Super User

You could enable Show Grid from X-axis settings

jthi_0-1698322579702.png

jthi_1-1698322600228.png

and if your data works with X Group you could use that and add graph spacing

jthi_2-1698322648284.png

jthi_3-1698322659028.png

-Jarmo

Show grids was easy enough.

Not sure what you mean by "if your data works with X group". Nothing happens when trying to add graph spacing, so I guess the answer is no. Is there anything I can do to make it work?. I guess grids are good enogh, but spacing looks like an appealing solution.

Thank you for your help and patience!