cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
alklopp0
Level I

How to create a category nominal variable with more than 2 levels from an JMP data table variable?

New to JMP - just wondering how to create a >2 category nominal variable from an existing continuous JMP dataset variable? Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to create a >2 category nominal variable from an existing continuous JMP dataset variable?

Hi Al,

Let's say you have a continuous column named A with values between zero and one. Create a column named B, character data type and nominal modeling type. Build a formula for B as follows:

9772_Visual.PNG

You can add an arbitrary number of clauses to the If function using the caret "^" button in the formula builder.

Best,

Jordan

View solution in original post

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How to create a >2 category nominal variable from an existing continuous JMP dataset variable?

Jordan is right and that is probably what i would use most of the time. Yet, the fancy way to go about it would be to install this add in:

Interactive Binning

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi Al,

Let's say you have a continuous column named A with values between zero and one. Create a column named B, character data type and nominal modeling type. Build a formula for B as follows:

9772_Visual.PNG

You can add an arbitrary number of clauses to the If function using the caret "^" button in the formula builder.

Best,

Jordan

alklopp0
Level I

Thank you!

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

In JMP 12 there is an option Make Binning Formula. It's found in Cols/Utilities that may do what you need. I think it is limited to equal-width bins.

(On my machine it doesn't work at all, which seems to be related to me using comma as decimal delimiter which breaks the graphics script. If changing to an OS with english localization, the Make Binning Formula works beautifully).

alklopp0
Level I

Thank you!

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Jordan is right and that is probably what i would use most of the time. Yet, the fancy way to go about it would be to install this add in:

Interactive Binning

If you have a lot of categories, another approach would be to use the Loc Sorted() function, with or without a lookup table. The following link takes you to a tutorial:

http://blogs.sas.com/content/jmp/2014/04/02/lookup-tables-in-jmp/

Cheers,

Brady