cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Alex19
Level I

How to create Oneway from two different columns (without stacking)?

Hello. It is probably a trivial question (I'm very new to JMP). I have ~300 columns in a file and want to compare  means and stdvs of only two of columns of interest using Fit Y by X (Oneway analysis), how can I do it easily without stacking? - I basically had to stack all of the data, create a new jmp. file and only then I was able to generate what I need (see below).

Thank you,

Alex.

Picture1.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: How to create Oneway from two different columns (without stacking)?

I believe you will have to stack just those 2 columns to be able to do what you want.  The thinking on JMPs part on this, is that if you are measuring the same thing, it probably should be in the same column.  If you are coming from an Excel background, there can be some paradigm differences you will need to work through.

Comparisons between columns is considered to be matched data, such as a pre and post measurement.

Jim

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

That is correct. You must have all the response in one data column and the group membership in a second data column. So you must stack the the two response first.

You do not have to keep all the other data columns when you stack, though.

Alex19
Level I

Thank you, @Mark_Bailey and @txnelson. One last question: is there a way to stack columns within the same (original) data table?

txnelson
Super User

There is a way to do this, but a simple script would have to be written to do it. Or, you could easily join the table back together with the original table, and it will end up in a single table. However, when you start mixing data structures in JMP data tables, you will start to reduce some of the assumed built in assumptions. But, it certainly can be done
Jim
Alex19
Level I

@txnelson Thank you! That's what I've been missing - joining tables back solves the problem.

Have a great weekend!

Alex.

txnelson
Super User

I believe you will have to stack just those 2 columns to be able to do what you want.  The thinking on JMPs part on this, is that if you are measuring the same thing, it probably should be in the same column.  If you are coming from an Excel background, there can be some paradigm differences you will need to work through.

Comparisons between columns is considered to be matched data, such as a pre and post measurement.

Jim