cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Neo
Neo
Level VI

How to create Box Plots when 5 summary parameters (Min, Q1, Median Q3, Max) and Limits (LSL, USL) are in a column corresponding to a given part_ID?

My data table has got part_ID entries in column 1. In column 2, the 5 summary parameters - Min, Q1, Median Q3, Max  and the test limits LSL, USL appear. In column 1 the part ID is repeated 7 times (corresponding to 5 summary parameters + LSL & USL, total 7) after which the next part ID appears (and corresponding 7 numbers in column 2).

I do not want to change the format of the data table (i.e. do not want to transpose).

I want to create box plot trend chart (with part ID on X-axis) using the 5 summary parameters and the limits. How to do this via JSL?

When it's too good to be true, it's neither
21 REPLIES 21
Neo
Neo
Level VI

Re: How to create Box Plots when 5 summary parameters (Min, Q1, Median Q3, Max) and Limits (LSL, USL) are in a column corresponding to a given part_ID?

@jthi . The whole reason for having the data in format of your top table (and mine which is attached) is only so that I can have different scales in a group by Y plot.

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Can-you-change-y-axis-scale-independently-from-other-y-axis... 

I do not want to you the Page option so I went and followed @txnelson 's suggestion to put the relevant data in form he suggested i.e. in separate columns (assuming I have understood his suggestion correctly).

If there is any other way without using Page or @txnelson 's suggestion (another similar here), I am all ears :). 

Neo
Neo
Level VI

Re: How to create Box Plots when 5 summary parameters (Min, Q1, Median Q3, Max) and Limits (LSL, USL) are in a column corresponding to a given part_ID?

@jthi Thanks for your suggestions on this topic which I am returning to as I have to keep the data format as in my example data attached in this thread earlier. I can get almost what I need with the script below (there could be better ways to do this but below is my tale). I need help with two things.

1. I need to draw a vertical black line connecting Min and Max for each partID (currently not selected in the local data filter, left chart below). When Min/Max is selected in the local data filter (right chart below), they get connected by a vertical black line (in place of black dots now on right chart), I will get to almost the anatomy of a box plot, which I think is enough and fit for purpose. How to get this vertical line via JSL for each part ID (V Line ()?)?
  2. Secondly, my measured parameters (Current, Resistance in the example data) in actual data will be >40. So, I do not want to do the Legend color setting the way I have done in my script. How to set the legend color as black by default (otherwise JMP colors each Y-group differently and not how I have set the marker colors).

Names Default To Here (1);
clear log ();
dt = Current Data Table ();
//Set LSL/USL marker and color dt << Row Selection( Select where( Contains( :Label, "LSL" ) | Contains( :Label, "USL" ) ), Match case( 1 ), Dialog( Edit( Contains( Source Column( :Label ) ) ) ) ) << Markers( 29 ) << Colors( "Red" ); dt << Clear Select;
// Set Q1/Q3 marker and color dt << Row Selection( Select where( Contains( :Label, "Q1" ) | Contains( :Label, "Q3" ) ), Match case( 1 ), Dialog( Edit( Contains( Source Column( :Label ) ) ) ) ) << Markers( 29 ) << Colors( "Black" ); dt << Clear Select;
//Set Median arker and color dt << Row Selection( Select where( Contains( :Label, "Median" ) ),Match case( 1 ), Dialog( Edit( Contains( Source Column( :Label ) ) ) ) ) << Markers( 0) << Colors( "Blue" ); dt << Clear Select;
// Plot chart gb = Graph Builder( Size( 404, 412),
Show Control Panel( 0 ), Variables( X( :partID ), Y( :Resistance ), Y( :Current ) ), Elements( Position( 1, 1 ), Points( X, Y, Legend( 37 ), Jitter( "None" ) ) ), Elements( Position( 1, 2 ), Points( X, Y, Legend( 35 ), Jitter( "None" ) ) ), Local Data Filter( Add Filter( columns( :Label ), Where( :Label == {"LSL", "Median", "Q1", "Q3", "USL"} ) ) ), SendToReport( Dispatch( {}, "400", ScaleBox, {Legend Model( 37, Properties( 0, {Line Color( 0 )}, Item ID( "Resistance", 1 ) ) ), Legend Model( 35, Properties( 0, {Line Color( 0 )}, Item ID( "Current", 1 ) ) )} ) ) );

Neo_1-1697716325936.png Neo_2-1697716355004.png

Neo
Neo
Level VI

This additional script added to above gives what is desired using V Line ().

Example only for PartID =1 (chart below). How to make this automatic in a loop?

gbr = gb << report;

// For FrameBox (1)
Q1_Part1_Para1 = 2.75;
Q3_Part1_Para1 = 3.1;

// For FrameBox (2)
Q1_Part2_Para1 = 250;
Q3_Part2_Para1 = 302; 

PartNo = 1;

Eval(EvalExpr(gbr [Framebox (1)]<< Add graphics Script (
					Pen color (black); V Line (PartNo-1, Q1_Part1_Para1, Q3_Part1_Para1);	
				)));

Eval(EvalExpr(gbr [Framebox (2)]<< Add graphics Script (
					Pen color (black); V Line (PartNo-1, Q1_Part2_Para1, Q3_Part2_Para1);	
				)));

Neo_0-1697717439664.png

jthi
Super User

You can use Summarize() to get unique partID values. Then you can use datatable subscripting with combination of Loc() to get rows for for specific partID while loopping. Then calculate/get your values and add your lines

-Jarmo
Neo
Neo
Level VI

@jthi 

>>You can use Summarize() to get unique partID values.

OK

>>Then you can use datatable subscripting with combination of Loc() to get rows for for specific partID while looping. 

Never used Loc (). Does this give me the X coordinate for each partID. An example with my example data would be vey useful.

>> Then calculate/get your values and add your lines. 

Do you mean, calculate X coordinates for each part as other numbers Min, Max, Q1, Q3 and Median are already calculated?

Also, do I need to loop through each FrameBox or is there a more straightforward alternative?

jthi
Super User

Your partIDs are in same order in the graph as they are in the table (and Summarize) so you have already the x-coordinate. If you have all the values you need already calculated, you can just retrieve them from data table. Below is example using Summarize, Loc and datatable subscripting

Names Default To Here(1);

dt = Open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp");

Summarize(dt, uniq_vals = by(:age)); // Summarize returns characters

For Each({uniq_val}, uniq_vals,
	val_rows = Loc(dt[0, "age"], Num(uniq_val));
	show(val_rows);
	f_rows = val_rows[Loc(dt[val_rows, "sex"], "F")];
	show(f_rows);
	f_heights = dt[f_rows, "height"];
	show(f_heights);
);

You have only two frame boxes but multiple lines you wish to add inside those, so there should be no need to loop over FrameBoxes (loop over the partIds)

Edit:

Also instead of Loc you could use << Get Rows Where as it is usually easier to use

-Jarmo
Neo
Neo
Level VI

@jthi . OK. Thanks. I will give this a shot (will come back if I get stuck).

In my actual data set, the number of measured parameters is >50 (could be more) so if I were to plot all 50 parameter trend plots on top of each other, there will be 50 FrameBoxes, hence my question on looping over FrameBoxes.

Also, for my PartID = 1, I ad to use the X= 0, for the X coordinate in V Line () in my script above. Is this how this is supposed to be (i.e. the x coordinate for V Line starts from 0 and not 1, even though it shows 1)? 

jthi
Super User

If there are that many parameters having additional loop is a good idea.

And for the X = 0 thing, I would suggest try it. See what happens (this way you usually learn the most). You can also see from X-axis settings that the value is 0 and label 1

jthi_0-1697722847281.png

-Jarmo
Neo
Neo
Level VI

@jthi OK. Thanks. One more thing is bothering me. I have switched off the jitter in my script, but the top (Q3) and bottom (Q1) markers are  still appearing with an offset. You can run my script with the data table attached before to test this (I am on JMP 16.2).

Is there another Jitter setting I need to switch off. 

The jitter/offset is more evident if I use the following to set markers for Q1 and Q3 (just trying to get the box shape before I draw the vertical line), but even with horizontal marker I see some offset. Am I missing something?

// Q1/Q3 marker and color
dt << Row Selection(Select where(Contains( :Label, "Q3" ) ),Match case( 1 ),Dialog( Edit( Contains( Source Column( :Label ) ) ) )
) << Markers( "Π" ) << Colors( "Black" ); 
dt << Clear Select;

dt << Row Selection(Select where( Contains( :Label, "Q1" ) ), Match case( 1 ),	Dialog( Edit( Contains( Source Column( :Label ) ) ) )
) << Markers( "Џ" ) << Colors( "Black" ); 
dt << Clear Select;

The offset could be due to JMPs rendering of the chart, depending on the Size () set under Graph Builder (). Stretching the chart horizontally is fixes some offset on some but not all points. 

Neo
Neo
Level VI

checking this way

frame = (gbr)[FrameBox( 1 )];
seg = (frame << FindSeg( Marker Seg( 1 ) ));
{method, axis, limit, spacing, seed} = seg << Get Jitter();

I do get a value of "seed" even after setting Jitter to none

{"None", "XY", 1, 0, 184430754}

Are my points jittered (they do appear so)?