cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
samir
Level IV

How to calculate slope and intercept

Hello,

I am facing 2 issues when trying tocalculate Slope and Intercept values:

1. I did not find an easy way to get the Slope and intercept except the use of "Bivariate + fit line"
  2. Using the Bivariatein a loop seems to result in a slow execution of the code: I think that creating a table and the associated fit lile  several times is very slow

My question: is there a way to get the slope and intercept without using the bivariate to get faster ?

Here is the code I use in a loop to extract the slopes and intercepts:

biv1 = Bivariate( Y( MyTab:X ), X( MyTab:Y ), Fit Line( {Line Color( "Red" )} ) );
	colBox = Report( biv1 )[Number Col Box( 7 )];
	beta = colBox << GetAsMatrix;
	My_Slope = beta[2];   // slope
	My_Intercept = beta[1];   // intercept
	Close( MyTab, nosave );
);

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How to calculate slope and intercept

for starters, have a look at this option:

http://www.pega-analytics.co.uk/blog/linear-regression-matrix-form/

it is a solution offered by David Burnham in his blog. using matrix calculations he achieves high speeds for calculating the regression coefficients.

best,

ron

View solution in original post

ian_jmp
Staff

Rather than having a loop, you could also consider making a big table with a 'By' variable, sticking with the Bivariate platform, then using 'Make Combined Data Table'. I expect the matrix approach will be faster, though.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

for starters, have a look at this option:

http://www.pega-analytics.co.uk/blog/linear-regression-matrix-form/

it is a solution offered by David Burnham in his blog. using matrix calculations he achieves high speeds for calculating the regression coefficients.

best,

ron

samir
Level IV

Thanks Ron,

That's what I was looking for: I will implement and test the spead :)

ian_jmp
Staff

Rather than having a loop, you could also consider making a big table with a 'By' variable, sticking with the Bivariate platform, then using 'Make Combined Data Table'. I expect the matrix approach will be faster, though.

RyMcQeN
Level III

Hi Ian,

I have followed your approach using the 'By' variable and sticking with the bivariate platform. I am not sure of the correct syntax for 'Make Combined Data Table' to work for multiple Fit Lines.  Can you help?

kXPlot = dt << Bivariate( Y( :LMS_dX ), X( :X_Nominal ), By(Column(::bcol)), Fit Line());
kXPlotDT = kXPlot < ???

Thank you,

Ry

RyMcQeN
Level III

I figured it out.

kXPlotDT = Report( kXPlot )["Parameter Estimates"][Table Box(1)] << Make Combined Data Table;

Regards,

Ry