cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Thierry_S
Super User

How to Maintain Proportion Balance when Using Subset with Stratify?

Dear JMP Community,

I have used successfully the Stratify option when creating subset tables when the stratifying variable has balanced proportions (e.g. 50% Male and 50% Female). 

Now, I need to create a table subset where the stratifying variable is "unbalanced" (e.g. 25% Male and 75% Female). When I execute the Subset with stratification on Gender, the subset table returns 50% Male and 50% Female which is not representative. Hence my question: is there a method to maintain Proportion Balance when using the Subset command with Stratify?

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mikedriscoll
Level VI

Re: How to Maintain Proportion Balance when Using Subset with Stratify?

I don't think I've ever used random w/ sample size in conjunction with stratify.  Is that whjat you're intending, or did you want sampling rate?  Sampling rate gives me 129 results, groups split by 100 and 29.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Which version of JMP are you using? I cannot reproduce this behavior in version 14. Make sure you have the dialog completed properly, too.

Capture.JPG

Dan Obermiller
Thierry_S
Super User

Hi Dan,

Thanks for looking into my issue. I use JMP 13.1.0 following the same procedure as depicted in your screen capture.

Let me create a dummy file to share with you.

Best regards,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
Thierry_S
Super User

Dan,

Here is the MASTER table and SUBSET table showing the problem I have with the Stratification option

MASTER: 77% FEMALE and 23% MALE (see attached)

SUBSET: 50% FEMALE and 50% MALE (see attached)

JMP 13-1 MASTER TABLE SUBSET SCREEN.PNG

Thierry R. Sornasse
mikedriscoll
Level VI

I don't think I've ever used random w/ sample size in conjunction with stratify.  Is that whjat you're intending, or did you want sampling rate?  Sampling rate gives me 129 results, groups split by 100 and 29.

Thierry_S
Super User

Hi Mike,

Yes it is my intention: I would like to select 100 patients to conduct a pilot experiment. But, I just checked the Sampling Rate method and it does not have the issue so I will look into that method instead.

Best regards,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse