BookmarkSubscribe
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
Thierry_S
Community Trekker

How to Maintain Proportion Balance when Using Subset with Stratify?

Dear JMP Community,

I have used successfully the Stratify option when creating subset tables when the stratifying variable has balanced proportions (e.g. 50% Male and 50% Female). 

Now, I need to create a table subset where the stratifying variable is "unbalanced" (e.g. 25% Male and 75% Female). When I execute the Subset with stratification on Gender, the subset table returns 50% Male and 50% Female which is not representative. Hence my question: is there a method to maintain Proportion Balance when using the Subset command with Stratify?

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mikedriscoll
Community Trekker

Re: How to Maintain Proportion Balance when Using Subset with Stratify?

I don't think I've ever used random w/ sample size in conjunction with stratify.  Is that whjat you're intending, or did you want sampling rate?  Sampling rate gives me 129 results, groups split by 100 and 29.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5

Which version of JMP are you using? I cannot reproduce this behavior in version 14. Make sure you have the dialog completed properly, too.

Capture.JPG

Dan Obermiller
Thierry_S
Community Trekker

Hi Dan,

Thanks for looking into my issue. I use JMP 13.1.0 following the same procedure as depicted in your screen capture.

Let me create a dummy file to share with you.

Best regards,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
0 Kudos
Thierry_S
Community Trekker

Dan,

Here is the MASTER table and SUBSET table showing the problem I have with the Stratification option

MASTER: 77% FEMALE and 23% MALE (see attached)

SUBSET: 50% FEMALE and 50% MALE (see attached)

JMP 13-1 MASTER TABLE SUBSET SCREEN.PNG

Thierry R. Sornasse
0 Kudos
mikedriscoll
Community Trekker

I don't think I've ever used random w/ sample size in conjunction with stratify.  Is that whjat you're intending, or did you want sampling rate?  Sampling rate gives me 129 results, groups split by 100 and 29.

0 Kudos
Thierry_S
Community Trekker

Hi Mike,

Yes it is my intention: I would like to select 100 patients to conduct a pilot experiment. But, I just checked the Sampling Rate method and it does not have the issue so I will look into that method instead.

Best regards,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
0 Kudos