cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
A_Ghezelbash
Level I

How to Constrain Factors in DOE to Sum to A Value

Hello  all,

My apologies if this has been asked and answered before.  I did not see any topic that specifically addressed this.  

Does anyone know what steps you must take in creating a DOE that has a constraint of three factors adding to one particular value?

Thank youo.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How to Constrain Factors in DOE to Sum to A Value

This sounds like you are trying to create a mixture experiment. In Custom Design, make the factors Mixture components rather than Continuous. That will make the factors add to 1. You do have the ability to make them add to another value through the red triangle of Custom Designer, if necessary.

Dan Obermiller

I agree with @Dan_Obermiller that it sounds like a case of a mixture experiment from your brief description.

It might also be the case of a linear constraint, though. Mixture designs and linear constraints are well documented in Help > JMP Documentation Library > Design of Experiments guide.

A_Ghezelbash
Level I

Thank you both for your replies.  I appreciate it.