cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
robbob
Level I

How does JMP perform Group X function in Graph Builder?

I am curious how JMP organizes data with the Group X function.  For this example:

• Temperature is X axis
  • Y is Y axis
  • Condition is used for overlay
  • Measurement is used in Group X

Does JMP simply create groups based on the number of data points?

11131_pastedImage_2.png

5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

Re: How does JMP perform Group X function in Graph Builder?

because your X grouping column is continuous JMP divides the groupings into equal number groups.  If the column was ordinal or nominal it would create a grouping for each value found for the column.

Jim
ian_jmp
Staff

If you don't like what JMP gives you by default, you can easily make changes. See 'Separate Variables into Groups' at:

http://www.jmp.com/support/help/Add_Variables.shtml#100031

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

For a continuous column in either the Group X or Group Y role, JMP uses quantiles to divide the data into 5 groups.

As Ian@JMP​ points out, you can right click on the grouping variable label and select Number of Levels to change how many groups are created (still based on quantiles).

11109_JMPScreenSnapz004.png

-Jeff
robbob
Level I

Does it use quantiles to divide the data or simply put equal amounts of data into each group? 

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

It uses quantiles.

-Jeff

-Jeff