cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
palboroto
Level I

How does JMP calculate p-values?

What is the underlying equation/algorithm that JMP uses when it calculates p-value?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How does JMP calculate p-values?

The p-value is the probability of a quantile in some distribution. One uses the cumulative distribution function (CDF) for the distribution model (e.g., normal distribution) to obtain the probability for a given quantile (e.g., data value or sample statistic). The CDF is the definite integral from negative infinity to the quantile x of the distribution probability density function (PDF). How these quantiles are used depends on the question and the distribution.

You can use the probability functions in a column formula or in a script window. For example, the lower one-tailed p-value for a t quantile of -3 with a sample size of 10 is:

t Distribution( -3, 9 )

For example, the p-value for the F quantile of 4 used in a one-way ANOVA for testing the mean of 3 groups, each with 8 observations is:

1 - F Distribution( 4, 2, 21 )

I hope that this information helps. I can't say more without more details about your question. Why do you want to know the 'equation/algorithm?' How will you use this information?

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: How does JMP calculate p-values?

The p-value is the probability of a quantile in some distribution. One uses the cumulative distribution function (CDF) for the distribution model (e.g., normal distribution) to obtain the probability for a given quantile (e.g., data value or sample statistic). The CDF is the definite integral from negative infinity to the quantile x of the distribution probability density function (PDF). How these quantiles are used depends on the question and the distribution.

You can use the probability functions in a column formula or in a script window. For example, the lower one-tailed p-value for a t quantile of -3 with a sample size of 10 is:

t Distribution( -3, 9 )

For example, the p-value for the F quantile of 4 used in a one-way ANOVA for testing the mean of 3 groups, each with 8 observations is:

1 - F Distribution( 4, 2, 21 )

I hope that this information helps. I can't say more without more details about your question. Why do you want to know the 'equation/algorithm?' How will you use this information?