cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
oly1694
Level I

How do I select columns by data type?

Is there a way to select columns by data type, quickly? For example, I have a mixture of continuous and nominal columns in my data table and would like to make 2 subsets of this data table. One subset containing all continuous columns, and the other containing all nominal columns. I've managed to do this using “Columns Viewer” by selecting all columns, retrieving summary statistics, sorting by standard deviation, and selecting all columns with a standard deviation value that indicates they're continuous. It would be nice if there was a ‘Data Type’ section listed under “Find Columns with Properties” in “Columns Viewer.” I’m looking for an easier approach. An interactive approach, preferrably.

Thanks,

Columns ViewerColumns Viewer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: How do I select columns by data type?

In the interactive world, you can use the Column Viewer and under the red triangle, you will find the ability to select columns based upon Modeling Type.  Just select the modeling types you want, and then just click on Subset

Here is one way, and the easiest way I know of in JSL:

nomdata = Current Data Table() << get column names( nominal );
condata = Current Data Table() << get column names( continuous );

Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

In the interactive world, you can use the Column Viewer and under the red triangle, you will find the ability to select columns based upon Modeling Type.  Just select the modeling types you want, and then just click on Subset

Here is one way, and the easiest way I know of in JSL:

nomdata = Current Data Table() << get column names( nominal );
condata = Current Data Table() << get column names( continuous );

Jim
oly1694
Level I

I see, thank you! Much easier than I thought, glad I asked before continuing further.

Columns ViewerColumns Viewer