cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
BHarris
Level VI

How do I plot mathematical functions with JMP?

I realize that JMP isn't a mathematical function plotter, but suppose I have a function:  y=((v1+v2)*sin(v3+arcsine(v1/(v1+v2)))/sin(pi()-v3-arcsine(v1/(v1+v2))-v4/v1)-v1)

... and I'd like to plot it using Graph Builder.  Is there a convenient way to do this type of thing with JMP?  (preferably without resorting to JSL)

Seems like it would involve building a full-factorial matrix of inputs v1 thru v4, but it's not clear to me how to do that, even with the DOE FFD platform, especially if I'd like some of those variables to have hundreds of values, e.g., v1 to be 0 thru 5000 every 10.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: How do I plot mathematical functions with JMP?

@BHarris wrote:
I understand -- I think I was mostly interested in knowing *how* to build the data table if I knew what levels I wanted for each of the inputs. Basically, is there an easy way to build a full-factorial-matrix data table given a min, increment, and max value for each variable?

Take a look at the Sequence() function (it's the Row functions in the Formula Editor),  and also Tables->Join, where you'll find a Cartesian join option.

Two data tables, one column each, Sequence() formulaTwo data tables, one column each, Sequence() formula

Join Dialog, Cartesian Join optionJoin Dialog, Cartesian Join option

Resulting data tableResulting data table

-Jeff

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

@BHarris,

The Nonlinear Model platform and the simulators work well for this. If I get time, I'll send an example.

Craige_Hales
Super User

Surface Plot can do this too. With NO data tables open, start surface plot from the menu, then set up like this

Choose the vN for two of the axes and set values for the other vNChoose the vN for two of the axes and set values for the other vN

Show Formulas, replace the default formula with your own formula, pick your axis variables, use the mouse to rotate and adjust the axes. I'm pretty sure your formula generates missing values for some vN values, and the surface is being interrupted by them.

Craige
stan_koprowski
Community Manager Community Manager

@Craige_Hales,

Cool.  I did not know that.

I learn something new everyday.

cheers,

Stan

Craige_Hales
Super User

There's a little bit more, see Three JSL Easter Eggs 

Triple Helix spinning in 3DTriple Helix spinning in 3D

Craige
BHarris
Level VI

How did you get JMP to auto-rotate the Triple-Helix?
Craige_Hales
Super User

shift key with mouse drag or arrow keys. It saves the rotation angle/speed in the script and will come up already rotating. 

Craige
txnelson
Super User

ain't that the truth!

Jim
BHarris
Level VI

I had no idea JMP would do this, pretty amazing! Reminds me of the old Graphing Calculator app on the PowerPC Mac.

I asked about Graph Builder because we need to end up with a family of line plots (X, Y, group X, group Y, overlay) that we can read values from.

But I'm going to share this with the other JMP users at my work, super cool. Thanks!
rc_hertzy
Level III

I still use Graphing Calculator (v 4.0) as still have access to Mac OS 10.12. GC is better for interactive presentations of 2D plots because of the larger size than, say, Nonlinear platform shows, and that you can quickly expand/contract the axes with CMD or OPT mouse clicks.