cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Benson
Level II

How do I make a map shape?

My data as below:

LineStart_XStart_YEnd_XEnd_YRoad width
Line100052
Line205511

We would like to make a map shape(Name.jmp and XY.jmp) like the Red frame in following picture.

How do I deal with those end point with script? The line could be in any direction. Any advice will be helpful, thanks.

1.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I make a map shape?

There are previous discussions about creating your own shapes. There is also an add-in that makes it easy to do. Search in discussions and in the file exchange.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

There are previous discussions about creating your own shapes. There is also an add-in that makes it easy to do. Search in discussions and in the file exchange.

Benson
Level II

Mark, thanks for your response. I have searched in discussions before post it. unfortunately, there is nothing relative to my questin. Allow me to make it clear:

1. How to create end points for each road

2. How to order these points in map file (it must be clockwise or anticlockwise)

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

The Custom Map Creator add-in is what you need here. With it you can click on your image file (like the one from your original post) and it will automatically create the shape files for you. 

-Jeff

Don't think about lines. Think about polygons. Each part of a shape is defined by the vertices of a polygon. For example, I used 31 vertices to define a part that appears to be a round circle. JMP automatically closes the polygon, so the first vertex is not the same as the last vertex. You leave it open and JMP closes it.

The XY shape file identifies the shape, part, and (x,y) coordinates of these vertices. (Most cases I have seen require only one part per shape.) See the blog post I cited previously for an example you can study.

If you are talking about simply adding a graphic, see Help > Books > Scripting Guide for information about the graphics functions for drawing polygon and polygon segments.

Here is a link to a blog post about custom shape files.