cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
LarsBirger
Level III

How do I compare two columns and see if they differ signficantly?

Hi,

I use JMP Pro 16.0.0 together with a Mac and have a question. I know how to compare values in a column against a Nominal variable by using the analyze and fit y by x command. My question is how do I compare the means of two columns and see if they differ significantly.

Example: 

Column 1: 2, 4, 6, 6, 8, 2, 3, 4, 6

Column 2: 1, 1, 2, 3, 1, 3, 1, 2, 2

I would be very grateful for your advice of how to do that.

I use and like JMP a lot but mostly I compare values in a column against a nominal variable like gender, high blood pressure or not etc.

Sincerely yours

Lars Enochsson

Professor of Surgery

Umeå University

Umeå, Sweden 

2 REPLIES 2
Thierry_S
Super User

Re: How do I compare two columns and see if they differ signficantly?

Hi,

First, you need to STACK your two columns.

Second, you may want to RECODE the resulting "Labels" column with meaningful terms

Third, go to FIT Y by X where X is the "Labels" column and Y is your "Data" column

Fourth,  choose the appropriate test (parametric, non-parametric) for your data and test your hypothesis.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How do I compare two columns and see if they differ signficantly?

Hi @LarsBirger 
if you have the data in two columns are they repeated measures? if so, one should assume dependency between observations and the repeated measures platform used.
if you stack the data make user to keep an observation id column and use a model incorporating that information, such as in the repeated measures add-in. https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Add-Ins/Full-Factorial-Repeated-Measures-ANOVA-Add-In/ta-p/23904