cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Terri_Denver
Level I

How do I Sum all rows in a single column

I used JMP for many years, then did not for a few years and am back using JMP.  The data I am working with is such that I need to be able to sum both rows and columns.  Summing columns is easy for me using the formula function in column properties.  

I have tried several of the suggestions about how to sum selected columns but I must be doing something wrong.  All the values I have entered in the rows selected are removed when I apply the formula and row one shows a value of 0.

I am certain that this is operator error on my part.  I could use some help figuring out how to sum all rows - or even selected rows - in a single column.  I appreciate any help. Thanks Terri_Denver!

Instructions state to include JSL code - I don't know what that means.

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

Re: How do I Sum all rows in a single column

I am a bit confused on what you are attempting to do. Would it be possible for you show a mockup of what you are trying to do?
Jim
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: How do I Sum all rows in a single column

Welcome back to using JMP, @Terri_Denver!

Like @txnelson, I'm a little confused about what you want to do but I wonder if you're thinking about a JMP data table like a spreadsheet. You should remember that JMP is Not a Spreadsheet. So, you can't create a formula in a single row or cell to create a summary of other rows.

Instead, if you just need to find the sum of a set of rows, use Tables->Summary or Tabulate to create table of your sums. 

-Jeff