cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ckerr
Level III

How can the results of summarize be made into a true table like summary generates?

How can the results of a summarize be made into a true table like summary generates?  http://www.jmp.com/support/help/Advanced_Data_Table_Scripting.shtml does not cover this issue directly.

I am trying to group a large data set by year and month, then calculate various percentiles for numeric data.

The goal is a new table of percentiles for each unique year/month subset.

I can use Quantile (<variable>,0.99) to get the 99th percentile in summarize, but not a table output;

I can get a table output from summary, but not the 99th percentile.

The summarize code is:

dt=current data table();

summarize(

a = by(areaname, roomnbr, isoname, Site, year, quarter),

nobs = count(CFU),

nhole = count,

p99 = quantile(CFU,0.99),

p95 = quantile(CFU,0.95),

pmed = quantile(CFU,0.50),

pave = mean(CFU),

);

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How can the results of summarize be made into a true table like summary generates?

It is possible, at least in JMP 11 and I think in several earlier versions, to get percentiles with Summary. There is a text box "For quantile statistics, enter value (%)".

JSL syntax:

dt << Summary( Group( :areaname, ... ), Quantiles( 99, :CFU ) ) );

It is also possible to insert the results of Summarize() into a table, but it requires scripting that may become quite complex if a general solution ( e.g. varying nr of grouping cols and statistics) is desired.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How can the results of summarize be made into a true table like summary generates?

It is possible, at least in JMP 11 and I think in several earlier versions, to get percentiles with Summary. There is a text box "For quantile statistics, enter value (%)".

JSL syntax:

dt << Summary( Group( :areaname, ... ), Quantiles( 99, :CFU ) ) );

It is also possible to insert the results of Summarize() into a table, but it requires scripting that may become quite complex if a general solution ( e.g. varying nr of grouping cols and statistics) is desired.