cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ckerr
Level III

How can the results of summarize be made into a true table like summary generates?

How can the results of a summarize be made into a true table like summary generates?  http://www.jmp.com/support/help/Advanced_Data_Table_Scripting.shtml does not cover this issue directly.

I am trying to group a large data set by year and month, then calculate various percentiles for numeric data.

The goal is a new table of percentiles for each unique year/month subset.

I can use Quantile (<variable>,0.99) to get the 99th percentile in summarize, but not a table output;

I can get a table output from summary, but not the 99th percentile.

The summarize code is:

dt=current data table();

summarize(

a = by(areaname, roomnbr, isoname, Site, year, quarter),

nobs = count(CFU),

nhole = count,

p99 = quantile(CFU,0.99),

p95 = quantile(CFU,0.95),

pmed = quantile(CFU,0.50),

pave = mean(CFU),

);

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How can the results of summarize be made into a true table like summary generates?

It is possible, at least in JMP 11 and I think in several earlier versions, to get percentiles with Summary. There is a text box "For quantile statistics, enter value (%)".

JSL syntax:

dt << Summary( Group( :areaname, ... ), Quantiles( 99, :CFU ) ) );

It is also possible to insert the results of Summarize() into a table, but it requires scripting that may become quite complex if a general solution ( e.g. varying nr of grouping cols and statistics) is desired.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How can the results of summarize be made into a true table like summary generates?

It is possible, at least in JMP 11 and I think in several earlier versions, to get percentiles with Summary. There is a text box "For quantile statistics, enter value (%)".

JSL syntax:

dt << Summary( Group( :areaname, ... ), Quantiles( 99, :CFU ) ) );

It is also possible to insert the results of Summarize() into a table, but it requires scripting that may become quite complex if a general solution ( e.g. varying nr of grouping cols and statistics) is desired.