cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Nimaxim
Level II

How can I interpret interaction plot according to effect test tabel?

While most of the sources are significant in the parameter estimates and the effect test table, why no intersections are seen in the interaction plot?

4 REPLIES 4
statman
Super User

Re: How can I interpret interaction plot according to effect test tabel?

You have not provided enough information like where did your data come from (e.g., observational, experimentation) to give a specific reason, so here are some things to consider.  Statistical significance in your table depends on 2 things: MS of the terms (source or model) AND MS error (F-test = MSfactors/MSerror).  If the estimate of the MSe is very small (and not representative), then everything can be "statistically significant".  This would be my first guess.  How was your MSe estimated?  Is it a function of randomized replicates (what statisticians like to call pure error) or lack of fit  (removing insignificant terms from the model)?  How does the MSe compare with actual variation in the process?  Have you considered practical significance?  

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
MRB3855
Super User

Hi @Nimaxim . Hard to say for sure with the limited information you’ve provided. But, my guess is sample size. If your sample size (error df) is very large, even very small effects come out as “statistically significant”. So, while the interactions may be “statistically significant”, the differences (as shown by non-parallel lines in the plots) may be negligible. This phenomenon is sometimes called “overpowered”. 

Nimaxim
Level II

@statman , @MRB3855 Thank you for responses to my question. In fact, this RSM analysis uses a neural network for the responses. The factor values are based on real RFM Model data. I'm attaching some of the results.

Byron_JMP
Staff

Hello,

Thanks for posting a picture for context, that's super useful. 

The parameter estimates table is the one you will find more helpful. Based on your profiler picture, I suspect the interactions are significant, but also small. Also, it's likely you have a lot of observations behind your model? This will help make small effects significant. A large number of degrees of freedom can increase sensitivity, but also increase the chance of false positives. 

Cheers,

-B

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)