cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
afterword
Level IV

Hiding points (but not lines) in JMP10 Graph Builder and other troubles

I recently upgraded from JMP9 to JMP10, and my Graph Builder-based charts are now broken!

Previously, I could create a graph with both lines and points, but hide some of the points so that only meaningful points would appear along the line.  In JMP10, hiding points also makes the line disappear.  Are there any settings I can change to revert this behavior?

Also in JMP9, expanding one chart in a trellised (multi-pane) graph builder graph would expand the window and include a scroll bar if the content extended below the edge of the screen.  In JMP10, I'm unable to expand those charts if they exceed the screen size.  Is there a setting I'm missing to revert that behavior as well?

Thanks!

-Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XanGregg
Staff

Re: Hiding points (but not lines) in JMP10 Graph Builder and other troubles

Sorry about the adverse changes, Daniel. Hide and Exclude aren't expressive enough to cover all the options. The lines were made selectable for cases where there are multiple lines because of an overlay variable, but JMP needs to do better at distinguishing point selection from line selection.

The disappearing lines is really the line no longer connecting through hidden values (that is, if two of your non-hidden points were consecutive, there would be a line between them). That should be an explicit option for the Line element.

A clumsy work-around is: create a duplicate of your Y column with only the 3 interesting values, add both Ys to GB, but turn one off for the Line element and turn the other off for the Points element.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi Daniel,

I'm not able to recreate the behavior you describe with lines going away when you hide points. Can you provide an example?

As for the sizing of trellised graphs, you can toggle that with the Auto Stretching option that you can see by holding down the shift key when you click on the red triangle menu.

2766_JMPGraphBuilderOptions.png

You can also turn this off by default using the Graph Builder Platform Preferences.

2767_JMPGraphBuilderPreferences.png

-Jeff

-Jeff
afterword
Level IV

Thanks Jeff - that solved the stretching issue for me.

I've created a line chart in Graph Builder, with points marked along it.  I want to highlight the points that represent a major change in the y-axis value (see the colored points below)

2768_chart1.JPG

In JMP9, I could select all of the black points and "hide" them, leaving the line and just the colored points.  In JMP10, I get this when I hide the black points:

2769_chart2.JPG

The line disappears!  This is also the case in the overlay plot where the line will only connect visible values.  In effect, Hide seems to be doing the same thing as Exclude, and previously they were different.

Another change I've noticed in JMP10 is the way selection affects lines.  If I want to box- or lasso-select the four highest points in the graph, it selects the entire series (the whole line, or all of the points in the table.)  In JMP9, it would effectively ignore the line and just select those 4 points.

2770_chart3.JPG

I can pass along a sample table if you can't reproduce this behavior.  Thanks again for your help!

XanGregg
Staff

Sorry about the adverse changes, Daniel. Hide and Exclude aren't expressive enough to cover all the options. The lines were made selectable for cases where there are multiple lines because of an overlay variable, but JMP needs to do better at distinguishing point selection from line selection.

The disappearing lines is really the line no longer connecting through hidden values (that is, if two of your non-hidden points were consecutive, there would be a line between them). That should be an explicit option for the Line element.

A clumsy work-around is: create a duplicate of your Y column with only the 3 interesting values, add both Ys to GB, but turn one off for the Line element and turn the other off for the Points element.

afterword
Level IV

Thanks Xan.  I tried out the duplicate column, but the only way I could see to make one of the Y-axis values line and the other point is to move one of the Y's to the right side.  It gives the basic visualization I'm after, but it means that the two scales are dissociated and will be different when I try to zoom in or resize.

It also doesn't seem to help out with my selection problem.  I may have to revert to JMP9 for the time being or come up with a different way to do my analysis.

In any case, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.  Saved me from hunting around the options for hours.

XanGregg
Staff

I just fixed a typo in my response that made it hard to understand ("on off" -> "one off"). Here's a pic of the confusing part, using the Y submenu to turn off a particular Y for a particular element.

2795_Ysubmenu.png

The result after doing both elements:

2796_linepoints.png

afterword
Level IV

That works great.  Thanks for the images, because I didn't realize I had independent control of Ys through the sub-menu.  I revised my scripts to create the new column and generate the modified graphs.

I may try to set up a keyboard shortcut to hide the line when I want to make point selections.  That's the best things I can think of to get around selecting the whole series.

Thanks again!

afterword
Level IV

With the new double-y version that you suggested, I find I am able to use the Lasso tool to select the individual points without selecting the entire series, It's only the arrow tool (box select) that highlights everything.  I'll just need to remember to use shortcut L instead of A when I make my selections.

Thanks again,

Daniel