cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
js1985
Level II

Help needed! How to automatize control chart building

Dear users,

I need your help in using JMP to build up control charts. Right now we have all data on excel spreadsheets updated daily (every day is 1 line more on Excel representing the datapoints of the day) and I want to make out of this data a I-MR chart.

Here below my requirements:

1. data out of an Excel spreadsheet possibly imported automatically to JMP
  2. fixed control limits to be updated only when needed
  3. rules implemented (e.g Westgard rules)
  4. possibly automic alert (such for example background color change) if a rule is violated
  5. automatize as much as possible the control chart creation (for example, once a new daily dataset is available, to import it easily from Excel to JMP in order to put on the chart the latest data

I don't know exactly what is the best and easiest way to proceed therefore I need your input.

Thanks a lot.

7 REPLIES 7
Byron_JMP
Staff

Re: Help needed! How to automatize control chart building

Are you using v14? Because that will make a few things easier.

To start with, just use File open, and the import wizard to open your excel table.

-JMP writes a Source script in the table.

Then use Control Chart builder to make your graphs, and save the script to the data table.

-JMP writes the cotrol chart script.

While you're there set the control limits as you like, and then Save Limits to a Table.

-Check the scripting guide, it has a scripting for loading spec limits.

At the most basic level all you'll have to to is "glue" these pieces together.

dt=open();

obj=dt<<control chart builder();

obj<< get limits (limit table name):

then for fun, it might be nice to throw in the process screening tool get your alerts.

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)
js1985
Level II

Hello Byron,

first of all thanks for your help!

I'm using V12.2, what are the main issues I can face compared to V14?

Anyway I'll try to "glue" all the pieces together in order to have a simple tool to manage all control charts from the lab, it has to be user friendly and fast enough to do not overload daily activities for laboratory technicians.

I will get back to you if I need further help.

Thanks again.

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

You should add which JMP version you are using.

The first pass script is easy, but the devil is in the details:

• Will the dataset be totally new, no history from the previous day
  • Should the limits be stored in a separate file, and if the limits are changed should that date of the change be reflected on the chart, and rules applied for the limits that were in place when the data were collected?
  • If historical data is shown, should the history of comments be available with each run?
  • Is the result a "fixed" or dead chart like a journal or a live chart?
  • Is this only to be run by you or run by others?

I am sure you will get a response for the first pass once you supply the JMP version. This note is a heads up, that the items above are usual features requested. So you will need to dig into leraning some JSL.

From the JMP main menu, select Help>Scripting Index> select Functions > and type Excel in the search text field, select Open from the list of items (item match).  See example 3. It contains the general syntax for the reading Excel and th example below.

dt = Open(
	"$SAMPLE_IMPORT_DATA/Team Results.xlsx",
	Worksheets( "Ungrouped Team Results" ),
	Worksheet Settings(
		Headers Start on Row( 3 ),
		Data Starts on Row( 4 )
	)
);

Now select Objects and type Control Chart in the search text field. I suggest you try the script for:

• Control Chart Type, then scroll down and look at the scripts for
  • IR
  • Get Limits

The options available depend upon your version of JMP.

js1985
Level II

Hello gzmorgan0,

I'm using JMP 12.2.

Here below my comments in red

• Will the dataset be totally new, no history from the previous day No, the dataset will be the same of the previous day just adding a new line
  • Should the limits be stored in a separate file, and if the limits are changed should that date of the change be reflected on the chart, and rules applied for the limits that were in place when the data were collected? the limits will be stored in separate file and, in case of limit change they should be reflected in the chart (maybe as a phase?!) and possibily rules applied with the limits in place at that time
  • If historical data is shown, should the history of comments be available with each run? I don't know this option, how can we put comments on the chart? In any case the history should be available
  • Is the result a "fixed" or dead chart like a journal or a live chart? what are the main differences? 
  • Is this only to be run by you or run by others? the chart will be run by several operators and the JMP files will be stored on a shared folder

I also have few additional questions:

1. in the I-MR chart JMP is using automatically as centerline the average of the values and rules are applied creating zones around this line, how can I set the centerline as (UCL+LCL)/2 which represent the expected value and apply rules to this such for example 8 points in a row above or below CL?
  2. I tried to do this simplier, if we skip using Excel and we keep adding the new rows on a JMP data table I can create the charts out of this data, saving it later as a report I can add and update the chart daily keeping the settings I made, could you please tell me what are eventually the limitations of this solution? 

Thanks

Byron_JMP
Staff

if you have time, take a look at these:

https://www.jmp.com/en_us/events/ondemand/mastering-jmp/automating-analyses-and-reports-using-JMP-sc...

https://www.jmp.com/en_us/events/ondemand/mastering-jmp/tracking-and-trending-manufacturing-metrics....

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Mastering-JMP/Tracking-and-Trending-Manufacturing-Metrics-Journal-and-S...

and also this little bit here

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Byron-Wingerd-s-Blog/Control-Charts-with-a-Relative-X-Axis-Scale/ba-p/3...

Please don't take this as a "let me google that for you", Over the last year or so I tried to cover this exact topic in the Mastering JMP webcasts.

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)
js1985
Level II

Hello guys,

I read some tutorials and tried several charts, but I can't figure out one thing:

why if I create a chart from the control chart builder I have access to the warnings configuration and customization instead if I start creating an IR chart I can't and I need to use the standard rules?

I think, anyway, I'm almost there but I might need some additional hints in the coming days.

Thanks.

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

I responded to an earlier discussion about Moving Range charts.  Not all trend rules make sense, however several suchs as those that flag numerous values all within 1sigma can flag a reduction in the moving range (the variability) and a rule like 4 of 5 outside 2 sigma is really flagging instability.  My guess is that JMP does not allow the standard rules for the MR since they are meant for "normal" type data. 

That said, the script belows shows a work around:

• Create a transform of the variable, the abs( Dif( varcol, 1 ) )  is the calculation for a moving range
  • Create the trend chart with the limits
  • Change the chart title

Be careful which rules you apply.  I have seen many times people misinterpretting an MR chart.