cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
hogi
Level XI

Graph Builder bug? multiple response and boxplots

I just noticed that Graph Builder/BoxPlot has some problems with columns of modeling type Multiple Response.

this gets apparent if non-multiple-response entries are used.
In  plot 1, a male subset is showing up in the female group on the left.

This is not the case if color is used instead of Overlay (second plot).
The wrong female plot looks like the 3rd plot -  where on the x axis no distinction is made between male and female.

Same issue if X and Y axis are interchanged.

Point plots are fine.

Plots  via Group X or Group Y are fine.

hogi_3-1674821294602.png   hogi_4-1674821305544.png

hogi_5-1674821337609.pnghogi_6-1674821351637.png

View more...
Names Default to Here(1);
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

dt:sex << Set Modeling Type( "Multiple Response" ); Graph Builder( Show Control Panel( 0 ), Variables( X( :sex ), Y( :height ), Overlay( :sex ) ), Elements( Box Plot( X, Y, Legend( 5 ) ) ) ); Graph Builder( Show Control Panel( 0 ), Variables( X( :sex ), Y( :height ), Color( :sex ) ), Elements( Box Plot( X, Y, Legend( 5 ) ) ) ); Graph Builder( Show Control Panel( 0 ), Variables( Y( :height ), Overlay( :sex ) ), Elements( Box Plot( Y, Legend( 5 ) ) ) ); Graph Builder( Show Control Panel( 0 ), Variables( X( :sex ), Y( :height ), Overlay( :sex ) ), Elements( Points( X, Y, Legend( 6 ) ) ), );

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XanGregg
Staff

Re: Graph Builder bug? multiple response and boxplots

.Yes, looks like a bug in the combination of box plot + MR x + MR overlay. Thanks for the nice example.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
statman
Super User

Just curious...if you think you found a bug, you should report this to support@jmp.com I'm not sure why you report it here on the forum.  Unless you want us to confirm what you are finding, then it would be useful to attach the JMP table you are using.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
hogi
Level XI

hi @statman 

yes, you are right, it's still a question

Actually, I cannot imagine what could be wrong with the code.

But sometimes, it's a small comma or point.

Sure:
If somebody confirms that this behavior is not like expected, I will send a link to this post to support@jmp.com.

Thank you for the comment about the data table.
At first I didn't get the actual "message" - it was quite implicitly.
Direct answer to the question: the data table is from the sample directory - so everybody should have the file on his computer.
But you are right - no issues with this file
--> when posting the script, I missed the line with the modeling type conversion.

I just added it now. So, you should be able now to reproduce the described behavior with the file from your sample directory.

XanGregg
Staff

.Yes, looks like a bug in the combination of box plot + MR x + MR overlay. Thanks for the nice example.

hogi
Level XI

submitted to Jmp Support: Case Number TS-00034079