cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Feli
Level IV

Formula column where all row values are a certain column value matching another column

I have a table like this

Feli_0-1653049390895.png

and want to create a new formula column (reference size fruit) where the row value is the value to the Column "Size", but with the condition that the order is 5 and the value updates for each fruit type.

E.g., the result should look like this: 

Feli_1-1653049621839.png

I can do it using a nasty workaround (marking 5 in column "order", select matching values, do a subset using selected rows and update the original table with this) or I could write a JSL script, but I would prefer a Formula column solution for compactness.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: Formula column where all row values are a certain column value matching another column

As no example data table (images won't really work as data tables), I wrote smaller table to use as an example.

jthi_0-1653050446711.png

The formula might look a bit complicated, but works with the example data

:S[Col Max(Col Min(Row(), :F,  == 5), :F)]

but it should be fairly easy to understand if you split it into three different formulas (I have attached data table with these). Idea is that first you get the rows numbers per fruit based on if Order is 5 or not using Col Min(). Then you use Col Max() to get maximum value of that column. Finally use the row number to get value from :Size column.

-Jarmo

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jthi
Super User

Re: Formula column where all row values are a certain column value matching another column

As no example data table (images won't really work as data tables), I wrote smaller table to use as an example.

jthi_0-1653050446711.png

The formula might look a bit complicated, but works with the example data

:S[Col Max(Col Min(Row(), :F,  == 5), :F)]

but it should be fairly easy to understand if you split it into three different formulas (I have attached data table with these). Idea is that first you get the rows numbers per fruit based on if Order is 5 or not using Col Min(). Then you use Col Max() to get maximum value of that column. Finally use the row number to get value from :Size column.

-Jarmo
Feli
Level IV

It's magic! Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Sorry for forgetting to attach my demo table.

mikedriscoll
Level VI

I don't have a better solution to offer, but I think this solution may cause incorrect results if the order == 5 for any of the groups is the first row of a given group. For example either if it is out of order, or if starts at 5.  Depending on what the real data looks like, it may or may not be an issue, or maybe it could be solved with sorting etc.

Edit: This appears to work but I didn't test much.

stRows = Current Data Table() << get rows where( :F[Row()] == :F &  == 5 );
aa = Associative Array( :F[stRows], stRows );
:S[aa[:F[Row()]]];