Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
JeffG
Level II

Formatting column within control chart builder jsl

Hello,

I am having an issue creating a control chart when trying to script it with JSL on JMP17. I have a column that contains a long date and time in the format "02/24/2023 8:22:00 PM". I would like to use the formula Abbrev Date () to change the format of the label on the X-axis to only the date "02/24/2023" to reduce the clutter in the control chart. If this isn't the best way to do it, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

TruePosition = Control Chart Builder(
	Variables( Y( :Y ), Label( Abbrev Date ( :TestTime ) ) ),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch( {}, "Y", ScaleBox, {Min( 0 ), Max( 200 ), Inc( 20 ), Minor Ticks( 1 )} )
	)
);
4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

Re: Formatting column within control chart builder jsl

Here is how I would handle this

txnelson_0-1686847337373.png

theLabel = format(:testtime[1],"m/d/y");
eval(substitute(expr(Control Chart Builder(
	Variables( Subgroup( :testtime ), Y( :Y ) ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch( {}, "testtime", ScaleBox, {Label Row( Show Major Labels( 0 ) )} ),
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"Subgroup display 1 title",
			TextEditBox,
			{Set Text( __label__ )}
		)
	)
)),expr(__label__), theLabel));

Jim
JeffG
Level II

Thanks Jim. Why do you prefer to edit the subgroup to change the x-axis vs having as a label? When I use the subgroup I get a nasty looking graph because it takes every date as a different subgroup. Seems like the Label function in control chart builder is designed to change the x-axis label?

JeffG_0-1686861574655.png

I also found a workaround if I create a new column with a formula I can change the format of the date there and use it in graph builder.

txnelson
Super User

I apologize if what I responded with did not answer your question.  Given the code you provided, I assumed that you were creating an individual chart and that the issue was just an issue of the X axis being too cluttered and because of that, you only wanted to display the day as the label, because all of your data for the chart were for just one day.

I added the subgroup options, because it gave an easy way to change the displayed label.

Apparently I did not interpret your statements correctly

Here is another approach that does not use a subgroup

theLabel = format(:testtime[1],"m/d/y");

ccb = Control Chart Builder(
	Variables( Y( :Y ) ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 )
);
report(ccb)["Control Chart Builder",TextEditBox(4)] << set text( theLabel );

Jim
JeffG
Level II

Thanks again. I was just curious if I was doing something wrong. I know it's hard to guess at what I am trying to do when I can't share the data table. Your script above works for adding labels. 

Another question is how I can use a formula within the control chart builder command so that I could make changes to number formats or values on the fly instead of building a new column?