Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
MinnaN
Level I

Fit Y by X Nominal Variables

Hi All,

I'm having trouble using Fit Y by X.

It works when I used a this one particular Y variable, which is 2 levels (e.g., 'yes', 'no'), character type, nominal. The X variables I've used are also character type, nominal, but range from 2-5 levels (e.g., 'increase', 'decrease', 'no change').

But when I use a different Y variable, also 2 levels (e.g., 'low', 'high'), character type, nominal, it does not work. I enter the variables into Fit Y by X and get a blank screen. 

I checked the Column Properties and there isn't anything obviously different between the working Y variable and the non-working ones.

Any suggestions or help would be great!

Minna

Minna Ng
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Fit Y by X Nominal Variables

First, I am glad that you are getting your analysis. However, this behavior does not sound right. I would strongly encourage you to contact the JMP tech support team regarding this issue. They can be emailed at support@jmp.com

Dan Obermiller

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
txnelson
Super User

If you are getting a blank screen similar to the one below, it is because none of the rows in your data have values for both of the columns in your analysis.

txnelson_0-1625595316982.png

Jim
MinnaN
Level I

This is the blank screen I'm getting:

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 6.28.29 PM.png

And here is an example of it working with a different Y character/nominal variable:

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 6.28.17 PM.png

Minna Ng

It seems as though there is an issue with the data. Is there any way that you can share the data or an anonymized version of it?

Dan Obermiller
MinnaN
Level I

Hi Dan,

As part of de-identifying the data, I shortened the variable/column names. I test-ran it to reproduce the same blank screen, but didn't. Instead, it worked! 

The one variable that worked previously was a short name. It would only work, though, if it was entered as a Y variable in Fit Y by X. But it would produce just a blank screen if entered as an X variable.

But now all my categorical/nominal variables - with shortened names - work as either the Y or X variable. Strange, no?

Either way, thank you!

Minna

Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 1.15.16 PM.png

Minna Ng

First, I am glad that you are getting your analysis. However, this behavior does not sound right. I would strongly encourage you to contact the JMP tech support team regarding this issue. They can be emailed at support@jmp.com

Dan Obermiller
MinnaN
Level I

Will do, Dan. Thanks again! 

Minna Ng