Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
GSheehan1
Level II

Fit Life by X: Average μ and σ from 3 different datasets

Hello,

I'm having an issue with some lifetime data I have in which I am trying to generate a lifetime extrapolation using the Box-Cox transformation within the Fit Life by X platform. My end goal is to plot time-to-fail data from 3 different manufacturing lots that have all been tested to failure at varying voltages. I need the ability at each stress voltage to get the μ and σ from each manufacturing lot (within lot variation) and then to average the 3 values to return an average across the 3 lots for the purpose of my lifetime modelling.

Currently my issue exists whereby JMP groups all datapoints from the 3x lots at a particular voltage into one combined dataset, thus giving me a much larger σ than if I was to get the within lot σ of each lot and then average that across the 3. I am setting up my analysis with the following columns (also available in the attached .jmp file):

Y, Time to Event: TTF (Hours)

X: Stress Voltage 

Censor: Censor

From what I can see, this method groups all datapoints at a particular voltage into a distribution, even though the data is from 3x different lots. If I add Material Type to the By column, it will split out the σ statistic per lot but I'm unsure how to then take the 3 different σ values, average them and then apply the averaged value to my lifetime extrapolation. I have colleagues who are working with R and Matlab and are able to do the above analysis request quite easily so I'm wondering if there is just a simple change I can make in JMP to imitate this analysis. Any help would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Fit Life by X: Average μ and σ from 3 different datasets

You might use Fit Parametric Survival instead.

launch.PNG

fit parm.PNG

GSheehan1
Level II

Hi Mark, Thank you. Is there the ability in the parametric survival platform to plot a scatterplot to visualise the data points and the extrapolated lifetime similar to what is in the Fit Life by X platform?

No

Just to build a bit on what Mark outlined, if you are looking to use the same BoxCox transformation you could transform the Stress Voltage variable right in the effects panel after you add it. The log transformation should be appropriate since you were interested in a BoxCox relationship with a lambda of 0, which according to the documentation will be equivalent.

Joseph_Reese_0-1648746787834.png

Joseph_Reese_1-1648746959499.png

GSheehan1
Level II

Hi Joseph,

Thank you, good point. Yes, Box Cox transformations are essential for the analysis I'm trying to do.