cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Harj
Level II

Empty cells being counted in box plots

Hi,

I am fairly New to JMP so forgive me if this is a bit basic!

I have data from 32 individuals. I have recorded numerous parameters for each individual but could only measure one of the parameters in 24 of them. In the Box plot for this parameter n = 32 so it appears to be including the empty cells. 

Do I have have to go through and manually exclude rows where the cell for that specific parameter is empty or is there a better way of doing this?

I thought all empty cells were automatically excluded. Or is that just during Statistical analysis and not in the graphs?

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

Re: Empty cells being counted in box plots

I created box plots using Graph Builder and Fit Y by X(Oneway) using the Big Class Sample data table.  I cleared some rows, setting them to missing values.  As can be seen in the display below, the missing values were excluded from the graphs and the calculations.  Can you please be more specific about where you are seeing your issue?

missing.PNG

Jim
Harj
Level II

Hi and thanks. So it seems that if I just hover the mouse over the boxplot it gives me n= 32 but if i Group by the x variable and use the caption box, it is correct.

Why would that be? Not a huge problem as i am now aware of it. I'm just curious..

Thanks again.

example 2.pngexample 1.png

txnelson
Super User

That sounds like a bug.  You need to submit the issue to JMP support.

support@jmp.com

Jim
Harj
Level II

OK. Thanks for your help.