Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Re: Easy way to generate a scatterplot matrix using the GraphBuilder?

shoffmeister

Community Trekker

Mar 27, 2015

I was wondering if there is an easy way to generate a scatterplot matrix in the graph builder. I would like to create something like this:

11762_Bigclass.png

My problem is, that I need to pull over each variable on the x-axis one at a time. If I select multiple variables the GraphBuilder will generate the - for my purposes no so useful - overlayplot:

11763_bigclass2.png

I'm using this kind of graph often when it comes to the analysis of DoEs and I have 8+ variables on the x-Axis. Then it takes so much time to pull over each variable one at a time.

Thanks for any advice!

Sebastian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
julian

Staff

Jun 25, 2014

Solution

Hi sebastianhoffmeister​,

The easiest way to do this is by using the Dialog feature of graph builder with a graph matrix

1. Launch Graph Builder
  2. Click "Dialog"
  3. Cast variables into roles
  4. Check box for "Graph Matrix"
  5. Click ok

Here's a short video showing that:

11774_GB-dialog-s.gif

I hope this helps!

julian

8 REPLIES
txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

The 2 methods that I can think of would be to Tables==>Stack the columns you want on your X axis, and then use the "Label" column from the stack as an X Grouping variable. Or, a very simple script, which could be turned into an addin could be written that would take the X columns you specify and generate the Graph Builder code to generate the graph you want.

Jim
M_Anderson

Staff

Nov 21, 2014

Why not just use Analyze > Fit Y By X, and then provide all the different X's.  You would get something like this:

11771_Fit Y by X.png

julian

Staff

Jun 25, 2014

Solution

Hi sebastianhoffmeister​,

The easiest way to do this is by using the Dialog feature of graph builder with a graph matrix

1. Launch Graph Builder
  2. Click "Dialog"
  3. Cast variables into roles
  4. Check box for "Graph Matrix"
  5. Click ok

Here's a short video showing that:

11774_GB-dialog-s.gif

I hope this helps!

julian

Highlighted
txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

Wow....I have never seen this before......I learn something new about JMP every day.......

Jim
shoffmeister

Community Trekker

Mar 27, 2015

Thanks so much! That is exactly what I was looking for.

I never had a look at that dialog button before. :-)

kdupree

Community Member

Jul 7, 2016

Hi Julian,

While the Dialog Button you mentioned would be super useful for my purposes, I don't see it on my Mac version of JMP (11.1.1). Does anyone know if the Mac version includes this feature somewhere else?

Thanks,

Kelly

markschwab

Community Trekker

Apr 15, 2016

I'm not seeing it in Windows JMP 11.1.1, either.

Is the Dialog box a new feature in version 12?

julian

Staff

Jun 25, 2014

Hi Kelly,

The dialog box option for Graph Builder was added in JMP 12 so I'm sorry to say in JMP 11 and earlier there isn't a direct way to do this. Stacking or a custom script would be the next best thing if you want to stay in Graph Builder. Graph > Scatterplot Matrix is also an option and will work well with all continuous Xs.

Julian