cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Have your say in shaping JMP's future by participating in the new JMP Wish List Prioritization Survey
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
joelahn
Level III

Does anyone know about TDMS format data converting into JMP?

I am trying to read data files in TDMS format by NI, with JMP to analyze.

However, I cannot do this until I convert it to excel or any other format.

What will I need to import such format?

Joel Ahn
Lam Research Corporation
Mobile +82 10 9509 0109
5 REPLIES 5
jthi
Super User

Re: Does anyone know about TDMS format data converting into JMP?

One of my colleagues did recently have same issue. I think in the end he used JMP to run PowerShell which was then used to run Excel addin to do the conversion to .xlsx which then can be opened in JMP. I think this could also be done with JMP and Python combination.  

Possibly new feature request to JMP Wish list about opening TDMS data directly with JMP?

The NI TDMS File Format 

-Jarmo

The NI documentation about the TDMS file format mentions that they provide a DLL that might be used by third-party software like JMP. You must write a JMP script to access and use a DLL.

I am actually working on an addin to do this. However, the DLL provided by NI requires, for some of the functions, that an array of strings be passed back... currently, JMP does not offer this support in its DLL package... only an array of doubles can be passed. So, it is currently necessary to write a separate DLL as a go-between, to work around this. I am working on this, but it is a learning process for me... I am currently working my way through K&R as it has been a LONG time since I used C.

So, if I can get this to work, we'll have something... but not in the immediate future, unfortunately.

In the meantime, interested users should add "increased support for arrays in JMP's DLL capabilities" to the development wish list!

Cheers,

Brady

jthi
Super User

I have now created wish list item for this Extend the support of arrays in JMP's DDL capabilities beyod double as I tried to write a script to open TDMS files but ran into same issues as @brady_brady mentioned.

-Jarmo

There is a python package that imports this type of file:  https://github.com/adamreeve/npTDMS/tree/master.  You could use JMP's python JSL functions to use this package.