cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
AmanS
Level II

Disabling screen updates

I have a script that does lots of table operations like Stack, update, split , summary etc. Each operation displays a table once it is complete. I wanted to ask if there is a way to halt the screen updates at the beginning of the script and then turn them back on at the end of it.

Something like this..

//Open Data Table and set to invisible
dt = Open(file,invisible); 

// Turn off screen update?
summaryABC = dt<< Summary(Group (:A,:B,:C); // This opens the table that I would like to hide
SummaryAB = summaryABC << Summary(Group (:A,:B);

// other misc table operations
//turn on screen update?

Thanks for your help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Disabling screen updates

Here is a generalized way of dealing with this.  The Show Window() function can be used on almost every window, if no all windows, to have them displayed or not displayed.

names default to here(1);
dt=open("$SAMPLE_DATA/big class.jmp");

dt << show window(0);

wait(5);

dt << show window(1);
Jim

View solution in original post

Thierry_S
Super User

summaryABC = dt<< Summary(Invisible, Group (:A,:B,:C); // This hides the Summary ABC table

//turn on screen update?
summaryABC << Bring Windows to Front; // This brings Summary ABC to the front

Have you considered using the "Invisible" switch in your Summary command (see above)? You can then bring back the window with "Bring Window to Front".

Note: I have not found the exact command line to turn on and off the hidden status of a window.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
txnelson
Super User

Here is a generalized way of dealing with this.  The Show Window() function can be used on almost every window, if no all windows, to have them displayed or not displayed.

names default to here(1);
dt=open("$SAMPLE_DATA/big class.jmp");

dt << show window(0);

wait(5);

dt << show window(1);
Jim
AmanS
Level II

@txnelson  Just like old times :) you set me straight and get me working! Thanks for taking the time. Nice to see you here..

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

There is no general "don't show data tables" statement.

However, almost every data table operation supports an invisible or private option to keep the data table from appearing.

-Jeff
AmanS
Level II

@Jeff_Perkinson , Appreciate it. I will read through this :)

Thierry_S
Super User

summaryABC = dt<< Summary(Invisible, Group (:A,:B,:C); // This hides the Summary ABC table

//turn on screen update?
summaryABC << Bring Windows to Front; // This brings Summary ABC to the front

Have you considered using the "Invisible" switch in your Summary command (see above)? You can then bring back the window with "Bring Window to Front".

Note: I have not found the exact command line to turn on and off the hidden status of a window.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
Thierry_S
Super User

Oops,

txnelson provided a much nicer solution.

Best,
TS
Thierry R. Sornasse
AmanS
Level II

@Thierry_S  Thanks for taking the time. I appreciate it. I like the use of invisible and I decided to use a mix of both yours and Jim's solution.