Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
PhDer
Level II

Decision Tree Induction

JMP V.15.02Pro

Hello,

I have used a Decision Tree Induction analysis, and I have a quick question.  I understand that the Log Worth is related to the predictability of the analysis, but what does the 'Difference' value represent? 

Thanks in advance,

PhDer

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
dale_lehman
Level VII

Re: Decision Tree Induction

With a continuous response variable, the Difference appears to be the difference between the 2 means for the next split in the tree.  I don't know why that calculation is placed in the point in the tree above where the split is done, but if you look at the splits, you will see that each split shows the mean for each branch and the difference between these means appears with the point of the tree just above that split.

View solution in original post

PhDer
Level II

dale_leham,

Thanks very much for your help!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Georg
Level VII

Could not find the term "Difference",

what about using the Help Tool (Question Mark ? in the Toolbar) and pointing to that report/term?

This should lead you to the help:

The Partition Report (jmp.com)

Georg
PhDer
Level II

Hi Georg,

Thanks for replying, I also can't find anything on "Difference".

dale_lehman
Level VII

With a continuous response variable, the Difference appears to be the difference between the 2 means for the next split in the tree.  I don't know why that calculation is placed in the point in the tree above where the split is done, but if you look at the splits, you will see that each split shows the mean for each branch and the difference between these means appears with the point of the tree just above that split.

PhDer
Level II

dale_leham,

Thanks very much for your help!