cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
KostasV
Level I

DOE - Special Purpose - Space Filling Design & Integers

Hi JMP community,

I am facing a problem with JMP13. I want to create a DOE - Special Purpose - Space Filling Design in order to generate sets of inputs to be used in a another software model. The problem is that I have 2 variables L, H and they have to:

- Be integers (both)

- There sum should be lower or equal than a certain fixed value lets say X

I dont see a way to indicate that these two variables have to be integers in the pop up window. I found an approach to include those variables as "categorical factors" but if you do that then you dont get to constrain them in the "Define factor constrains", they do not appear as options.

1.jpg

Any suggestions how can we solve these kind of issues in JMP?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
susan_walsh1
Staff (Retired)

Re: DOE - Special Purpose - Space Filling Design & Integers

I am sorry my original answer was not clear. My suggestion was to use the Space Filling Design platform, setting your factors as continuous. This would allow you to add the sum constraint for those continuous factors. You can then take the data table created by the platform and round all values to the nearest integer using formulas. You will need to check the sums of the factors again to be sure the rounding has not violated the constraint, making adjustments as needed.

I hope this helps to clarify.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
susan_walsh1
Staff (Retired)

You could consider creating the design with the sum constraint. After the design is created, you might then round the values to the nearest integer. However, after rounding, you would need to check to be sure the constraint still holds for all rows.

KostasV
Level I

Hi Susan and thank you for your reply.

Please understand that I am totally new in JMP its the first time that I am using it, so please provide also some guidance, photos etc on your replies if you please.

As I am using categorical variables, I can not add a sum constrain.... I dont fully understand your recommendation.

Can I follow a custom design or a different approach from inside the software without using 3rd party tools like excel for example?

Thanks

volinoca
Level II

I would just design the experiment as if the factors were continuous and then convert the factor levels to integers. I think that's the easiest approach.

txnelson
Super User

I recommend that you read the DOE Guide.  It very clearly details with examples the many ways to use DOE in JMP.

Help==>Books==>Design of Experiements Guide

Jim
susan_walsh1
Staff (Retired)

I am sorry my original answer was not clear. My suggestion was to use the Space Filling Design platform, setting your factors as continuous. This would allow you to add the sum constraint for those continuous factors. You can then take the data table created by the platform and round all values to the nearest integer using formulas. You will need to check the sums of the factors again to be sure the rounding has not violated the constraint, making adjustments as needed.

I hope this helps to clarify.