cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
seburke89
Level III

Create Journal with interactive graphs from Graph Builder

Hi all,

I would like to create a journal that shows several graphs I've scripted through graph builder. When I send the graphs to the journal, however, they become static pictures and are no longer interactive for the user, which I really need them to be. The post here Trouble with Report << Copy Graph seems to suggest sending the graph directly to the journal with << journal which doesn't appear to be working in this case. Any suggestions?

Here's a simplified version of things...

g = Graph Builder(

Show Control Panel( 0 ),

Variables( X( :X ), Group Y( :Y ), Color( :Group ) ),

Elements( Points( X, Legend( 5 ), Jitter( 1 ) ) )

);

g <<journal;

I have also tried report(g)[OutlineBox(1) << journal; with no success...

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
scwise
Staff

Re: Create Journal with interactive graphs from Graph Builder

Sarah,

Looks like LouV has you on the right path.

Try this setup to combine the graphs into a single window and saved back to the journal with an interactive link.

First open up all the graphs you want to link.

Here we just opened up a couple of graphs for the Big Class help sample data set that LouV was using.

9006_Generate Graphs.png

Next use the combine windows command to pull all the graphs into one window.

Here is the Mac version below...the PC version of this can be done straight off the Home Window.

9007_Combine Window.png

Then save the window script back to the Journal.

9044_Save Window Script.png

Then you have the interactive link on the journal!

9045_Final View.png

Note that combining windows is the fast way to orient graphs within the same window.

For more control on the ordering, see the help files on the Application Builder where you can truly create customer graph views.

Creating and Sharing Applications

Hope this helps!

Scott

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
louv
Staff (Retired)

Have you used the red triangle>Script>Save Script to Journal?

9042_Screen Shot 2015-06-18 at 8.26.08 PM.png

seburke89
Level III

Hi LouV,

I just tried this out. I end up with a link to the graph in the journal window - which is interactive. But because I will have several graphs as output for the user, I'd prefer to have the actual graphs together housed in the same journal window. However, this may be a workaround solution.

Sarah

scwise
Staff

Sarah,

Looks like LouV has you on the right path.

Try this setup to combine the graphs into a single window and saved back to the journal with an interactive link.

First open up all the graphs you want to link.

Here we just opened up a couple of graphs for the Big Class help sample data set that LouV was using.

9006_Generate Graphs.png

Next use the combine windows command to pull all the graphs into one window.

Here is the Mac version below...the PC version of this can be done straight off the Home Window.

9007_Combine Window.png

Then save the window script back to the Journal.

9044_Save Window Script.png

Then you have the interactive link on the journal!

9045_Final View.png

Note that combining windows is the fast way to orient graphs within the same window.

For more control on the ordering, see the help files on the Application Builder where you can truly create customer graph views.

Creating and Sharing Applications

Hope this helps!

Scott

seburke89
Level III

Scott,

Thanks so much! I understand how this works now - I can work with this. Thanks for your detailed response!

Sarah