cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
sanqub
Level III

Countour Plot X and Y values?

Dear ALL

Hi I want to use contour for my data. Could you please tell what are these X Y and Z values used for creating contours. I tried  example of pond.jmp and Cities.jmp.

2 REPLIES 2
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Countour Plot X and Y values?

From the Contour Plot help:

The Contour Plot command in the Graph menu constructs contours of a response in a rectangular coordinate system. A contour plot shows a three-dimensional surface in two dimensions. Contours delineate changes in the third dimension.

So, the X and Y correspond to the X and Y axes. The Z defines the third dimension for the contours.

-Jeff

-Jeff
txnelson
Super User

Re: Countour Plot X and Y values?

The input dialog screen for the Contour Plot platform are confusing.  Discussion of the complete Contour platform is available in JMP:

Help==>Books==>Essential Graphing......page 111

For the example data table "Little Pond", the columns X and Y should be moved into the "X" selection box, and the Z column moved into the "Y" selection box.

Jim